Currently installed & new forum mods 2.0

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

Currently installed & new forum mods 2.0

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:52 pm

*edit* THIS LIST IS NO LONGER UPDATED, IN FAVOUR OF A DATABASE BASED MOD LIST

CLICK HERE TO VIEW IT NOW

Since I've just replaced our base forums install with a fresh 3.0.4, I'm starting a new log of the mods installed...

phpbb 3.0.11 updated 10/9/12 from 3.0.10 updated install (started out as 3.0.4).
disabled lastRSS agregator for phpBB3 (2.0.0RC) by Smix (jquery conflict with User Status Mod)
Simple Syndication 1.1.1b (outgoing rss) by Angelside.
Affiliates Mod 1.0 Beta by topdown.
Arcade Room 0.6.9c by PatrikStar
Live Game Server List (LGSL) 5.0 pre 5.1 beta issues with MTA player lists resolved by Richard Perry
- style modified by [DRuG]NikT
- includes meta-refresh mod by HTM|Minion
OTF Gallery 0.5.1 by Mighty Gorgon
Average Statistics 0.5.0 by nedka
Page Load Counter 1.0.0.b by Barry Carlyon
Users of the day 0.0.2 by sanis
Recaptcha by Carnegie Mellon University
AddThis using Forum Advertiser's Social Bookmark Tutorial for phpbb3 by theezy
/ me you random replacement mod for phpBB3 by Vlad44
Ajax Userinfo mod for phpBB3 by Tobi Schaefer - disabled - wow that got annoying fast.
Almsamim WYSIWYG editor by Almsamim
Automod 1.0.0-RC2 by phpbb
phpBB Smartfeed 2.2.14 by MarkDHamill
Pertneer ShrinkTheWeb 1.0.3 by Pertneer
Online Status Indicator by Techno
User Status Mod 1.0.5 by Platinum_2007
Nyquist Show Groups Info 1.0.0 by Nyquist (multiple ranks)
Mods Database 1.0.7 by lefty74
Board3 Portal 1.0.3 by Avaren - updated from 1.0.2 12 hours after installing - sigh
With the following portal mods
- A stack of mods, image tweaks & substitutes by [DRuG]NikT
- LGSL 4.6 by Richard Perry heavily modded by [DRuG]NikT for DRuG servers with player list.
- LGSL 5.0 pre 5.1 beta by Richard Perry heavily modded by [DRuG]NikT for favourite scene servers.
- Lots of different clocks from unknown sources.
- Menus from board3 1.0.2, (> 1.0.3's imho) tweaked to fit with CarbonCopy forum theme by [DRuG]NikT
- ArcadeRoom (phpar.com) - Blöcke by Unimatrix_0
- LastRSS agregator block for LastRSS agregator RC3 by frold
- RSS Feed Block by frold modified by [DRuG]NikT to work with Simple Syndication 1.1.1b
- AddThis incorporated into the default "link to us" block by [DRuG]NikT
- Page Load Counter 1.0.0.b by Barry Carlyon added to default statistics block by [DRuG]NikT
- album.php by santhosh@gmail.com modded by [DRuG]NikT to portal for OTF Gallery 0.5.1 by Mighty Gorgon
- Teamspeak Viewer by tsviewer.com

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Currently installed & new forum mods 2.0

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:14 pm

OK, I spotted an error - please, if anyone else does - report them to me.

When you post a message here, on the bottom right, under the smilies, you will notice you can upload images to the "User Pictures" section of the gallery. Since moving to the new 3.0.4 full install, I hadn't chmod 777'd the new image upload folders, so any time you tried to upload, it would spit out a bunch of php errors at the top of the page reporting "permission denied" among other things. I have fixed this and also added the upload image option under the upload attachment tab, where it should have been, in my opinion, all along.

This was a delayed fix, because the associated folders were owned by www-data, an account I don't have access to on this server. So I got zog, our super-awesome root admin, to chown all the paths recursively to my username, such that I could set the permissions properly.

Error fixed! There were also a few paths under user images that I couldn't move to the new path originally due to the same ownership issues... I was also then able to move these, which will fix a few broken images in posts on the forums, here & at AGS. Sorrrted!

I've also upped the "who is online" window from 30 mins to 60.

There were also some remnants of that country flags mod I installed on the previous build of phpbb plaguing the style templates for the member list and user control panels.. they were showing {country} in unusual spots - these have been removed.

The AddThis mod has also just been installed, which adds the option to post a link to social networking sites like Facebook via a new button next to the big white "post reply" button on the top left of each thread.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Edit: 9/3/09 - Domain Statistics added to board index:
I was looking through the static html left by the various versions of our domain statistics manager, webalizer, and recently, webdruid, when it occurred to me that none of them are actually linked in from the site anywhere - only the recent ones.. so I decided to add them to the forum index - it's interesting to see us evolve from 0 hits a day in 2002 to our average approaching 1000 unique visitors a day over the last few years. Also done a lot of tidying up of images that looked a little pixelated or were aimed at a light background.. also moved tiny things around that were bugging me.. if there's anything that annoys you on the forums, let me know & I'll stamp it.

Edit: 11/3/09 - Default RSS feed specified on board index/overall_header:
With all the RSS modifications on the forums here, we are able to specify feeds for any thread, any area... we can even pull in feeds from other sites and display them in the fading news ticker on the board index, but with all this tech, I still overlooked specifying a default feed for the domain - I even have a browser that lights up an RSS logo if there's a default feed present... [SUSS] Well we have them now, and the RSS light offers feeds for recent posts and every area of the forums & shows the 10 most recent posts anytime you click it - all this only involved adding one line of code to the overall_header.html for each area:
Code: Select all
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="FORUMS.DRUGCREW.COM &bull; RSS" href="http://nikt.zog.net.au/drugcrew/plugins/bb304/syndication.php?count=10&type=rss" />

Also added a few emoticons and edited the ones that weren't suited to a dark background. [<3] [<3] [<3]

In light of my experiences today of Flock not resolving the specified feed names for RSS in the address bar, I have switched back to firefox.. it renders the available rss feeds for all the areas of the forums correctly. As such, I've also switched the "get flock" reference at the bottom of the board index across to "get firefox".

(this is one of those random images, too, so each time it displays it's something different)

[DRuG]NikT has just added a mod so slash-me now looks like this.

Anonymous - it looks like I have addressed this just to you with slash-you, too.

Edit 22nd March: Live Game Server Monitor Updated
Just updated to the latest version of lgsl (our game server monitors on the forums) - we're now on v5.0. Nothing has changed, really - though I have made a new icon to match the new version. [mrgreen]

Annnd damnnn - there's issues with it... see for yourself by clicking on the magnifying glass for an MTA server at the (now unlinked) LGSL 5.0 page - the player list is garbled (assuming you picked a populated server). I've logged an issue at greycube.com and moved the forums frame back to 4.6. :(

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:27 am

It's finally been done..

Every forum needs an evil monkey emoticon.

[evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey]

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby Capsinurass on Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:17 pm

omg omg!!! [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey] [evilmonkey]

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun May 03, 2009 5:06 am

Board3 Portal by Avaren

This - many may say - is long overdue, a nice summary page where you can get an overview of recent posts etc.

Personally, I'm closer to the opinion that portals are kinda spamesque, but this one seems OK. It also doesn't get too invasive of the board index, such that you can easily move to viewing the forums in the traditional manner.

Enjoy [mrgreen]

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby flongdong on Sun May 03, 2009 11:04 am

[DRuG]NikT wrote:Anonymous - it looks like I have addressed this just to you with slash-you, too.

lmao, it took me like 3 minutes to figure this out. cool btw :P

checking out the portal now, ill vote in the poll in a minute [SPAM]

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon May 04, 2009 12:05 am

Only just as I was finishing up the fine tuning on 1.0.2 of the portal, I noticed that phpbb.com was out of synch with the developers' latest version.

So right on the heels of installing 1.0.2, I had to upgrade to 1.0.3 - I chose to manually work out the differences and installed using the full installation guide, only to find again, right at the end, that there were upgrade instructions tucked away in another directory.

While in the middle of the muddled upgrade, I missed an ENDIF, causing the whole board to break, too.. only took about 5 painful minutes to discover where I'd gone wrong.

Overall.. that was teh pain. [Aww]

Having made two passes at the install, however, does have it's advantages.. it's allowed me to get a lot of control over how it's manifest on the forums in relation to the board index. You'll notice I've made our portal much more passive than they are usually - meaning, you actually have to select it from near the board index link, otherwise you find yourself only landing on the board index.

I find this behavior better, since it adds features to the board (ie. it adds the option to see the portal overview) - whereas, if it was the default landing point, it forces people to skim the forums more and follow them less, since they don't get a deep/complete view from the outset.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [M4D]FULL_METAL on Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 pm

what is with this??
[DRuG]NikT has just added a mod so slash-me now looks like this.

[SiK]FULL_METAL - it looks like I have addressed this just to you with slash-you, too.

i cant ever remember sayin something like that, or being told something like that
I am not an ordinary alchemist
The cycle of life only goes one direction, not even alchemy can change that.
It's been a good while since I've killed anyone, I kinda miss it. Ya wanna watch?

[M4D]FULL_METAL
[M4D] member

SiK, Born and Bred

[M4D] member
[AGS] member
[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon May 04, 2009 11:11 pm

[DRuG]NikT isn't sure he understands what Full is saying, but it's just like / me in server, but also with / you

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [M4D]FULL_METAL on Mon May 04, 2009 11:14 pm

flongdong wrote:
[DRuG]NikT wrote:Anonymous - it looks like I have addressed this just to you with slash-you, too.

that is what i ment, you posted it a while back now i think
I am not an ordinary alchemist
The cycle of life only goes one direction, not even alchemy can change that.
It's been a good while since I've killed anyone, I kinda miss it. Ya wanna watch?

[M4D]FULL_METAL
[M4D] member

SiK, Born and Bred

[M4D] member
[AGS] member
[DRuG] member

Next

Return to Technical support