GTA San Andreas - Special Relativity

Everything else goes here :)
Bookmark and Share

GTA San Andreas - Special Relativity

Postby eNathan on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 am

Hey, I hope you all don't mind me posting this here (if this is a drug-only posting area, which I didn't see that it was).

What is it? It attempts to emulate the effects on time according to Ablert Einstine’s theory of Special Relativity within Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Who made it? Me ;p

How do I use it? Launch the exe with your game running and that’s it, you’ll notice time begin to run slower as you move faster. Try tweaking the numbers and boxes, have fun.

What’s teh maths?

T * Sqr(1- (V/C)^2)

Download by going to this page: http://enathan.com/?p=11

Screenie:
~{SS}-Mafia (Proud Co-Leader); http://mta-ss.com

Note: Not everything on the internets has significant meaning. ;o

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Re: GTA San Andreas - Special Relativity

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:04 pm

So what does this amount to? Wallride?

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 pm

The speeds we travel at doesn't affect special relativity that much, lol. We travel a speed a tiny fraction of the speed of light. (If you guys did a physics course :P).

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Does having a special relative help?

I have a few of those.

loll

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby eNathan on Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:47 pm

[DRuG]NikT wrote:So what does this amount to? Wallride?

The mod will allow gamespeed to go faster and faster as you TRAVEL faster. It's good for time savvage. Or, the opposite, faster you travel the slower time goes, etc. Okay, so it's not the most interesting to-die-for mod out there, it is what it is 8)

[DRuG]KillFrenzy wrote:The speeds we travel at doesn't affect special relativity that much, lol. We travel a speed a tiny fraction of the speed of light. (If you guys did a physics course :P).

Ye, the value of the speed of light is ajustable. By default its 1.0. I wouldn't expect CJ to be able to travel near the actual speed of light in-game :shock:

The mod's also good for playing with slow-motion. :P I guess, it doesn't serve too many purposes.

I want to make the mod so that you can travel back in time when you reach the speed of light :P like in back to the future. Now, where exactly did I put that flux capacitor of mines. :P

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 am

Well, with a bit of thinking, in theory, this is actually wrong, but that doesn't matter cause it's pretty cool anyways :P - the theory of relativity is quite complicated though. here's my explanation anyways..

As you go faster, time goes slower.. to you only. Everything else is still the same speed. With the difference, everything around you should go appear faster to you in theory, whilst your time remains the same to you. Although this will be (near) impossible to emulate in GTASA. You need to make time go faster for everyone else as you go faster (making everyone around you appear faster), whilst keeping CJ going the same speed. Confused anyone? I'm sure you might get it Nathan ;)

Also, you can't travel faster than the speed of light as energy gets converted into mass at near light speed.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby eNathan on Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:49 am

[DRuG]KillFrenzy wrote:Well, with a bit of thinking, in theory, this is actually wrong, but that doesn't matter cause it's pretty cool anyways :P - the theory of relativity is quite complicated though. here's my explanation anyways..

As you go faster, time goes slower.. to you only. Everything else is still the same speed. With the difference, everything around you should go appear faster to you in theory, whilst your time remains the same to you. Although this will be (near) impossible to emulate in GTASA. You need to make time go faster for everyone else as you go faster (making everyone around you appear faster), whilst keeping CJ going the same speed. Confused anyone? I'm sure you might get it Nathan ;)

Also, you can't travel faster than the speed of light as energy gets converted into mass at near light speed.

hehe, I follow ya 100%, I know my relativity ;) I got uber flamed by physics geeks when I displayed the mod on youtube, people constantly pointing out the technical innacuracies of the mod (which I fully understand and am aware of). Atleast you pointed them out in a kind manner ;)

I always wanted to make a true special relativity mod, though, which would also emulate length contraction, mass increase (what exactly would that be, though? maybe just a resistance to acceleration on peds), and also emulate the lighting effects (I forget what it's called... red-shift?). That would be ownage. Maybe even have it where faster than light travel (hypothetically) would start to reverse time in San Andreas. hehe. :P I think I'm going over the top there.

Glad you think the mod is kewl :) Only to a physics freak :lol:

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:16 am

A red shift happens when something travels away from you. A blue shift happens when someone travels towards you. Only visible to us at extremely high speed differences.

I can explain an example with sound instead of light. When a cop car heads towards you, and goes past you, the pitch of the sound would lower as it crosses by. This is because as it heads towards you, the frequency of the sound is increased, and when it heads away from you the frequency of the sound is decreased, due to speed differences. Same thing happens to light.

I know my physics and relativity pretty well. I don't like to flame people though, maybe teach them but not flame. :P

Say... you understand this? I think I almost got it lol.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby eNathan on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 am

[DRuG]KillFrenzy wrote:A red shift happens when something travels away from you. A blue shift happens when someone travels towards you. Only visible to us at extremely high speed differences.

I can explain an example with sound instead of light. When a cop car heads towards you, and goes past you, the pitch of the sound would lower as it crosses by. This is because as it heads towards you, the frequency of the sound is increased, and when it heads away from you the frequency of the sound is decreased, due to speed differences. Same thing happens to light.

I know my physics and relativity pretty well. I don't like to flame people though, maybe teach them but not flame. :P

Say... you understand this? I think I almost got it lol.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qU1fixMAObI

Heh, I suprisingly understood it quite well. Actually, it helped me further understand the dimentional concepts. The "flat-lander" thing is really good at helping poeple understand it, and the "folding the paper" may help people understand time travel. I've watched videos like this and read books which explain it numerous times before, but I got something new out of this one (finally understanding that the "infinite universe" theory is really the 5th Dimension :P)

Dimension1 = Line
Dimension2 = Infinite lines or a Flat Plane
Dimension3 = Infininite lines of infinite lines
Dimension4 = Infinite number of those, or "time"

I like to think of 2D as a picture, and 4D as a video. That's how I explain it to people -- as each higher Dimension involves an infinite number of the previous Dimension, just imagine an infinite number of picture frames.

Dimension5 = Infinite number of universes, each with a different posibility and outcome of events (now THIS I finally understand after watching the video)

Dimension6 = etc, etc, etc. For some reason, it just seeps to simplisticly repeat itself hereafter. Each higher dimention being the same old thing, "an infinite number of the previous dimension."

But yes, very interesting stuff here. I've always had a deep interesting in physics and things of the sort.

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:37 am

Ahh yeah, that should clear things up completely. Yeah, this video is one of the best at explaining these things. Although you'll (may) never be able to interpret the above dimension, or twist and turn the 4th dimension :P

Yeah I've always had an interest in physics. You know speed cameras work by using the red shift and blue shift? By measuring the differences between the sent frequency and reflected frequency, you can measure the speed of an object.

If you like astronomy you should download Google Earth. There's a Google Sky built in to there. You can so clearly see some of those distant objects, like galaxies and that. Good old Hubble Telescope.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Next

Return to Miscellaneous