SSD for OS!

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

SSD for OS!

Postby zog on Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:40 pm

Just re-installed my home PC with Xubuntu linux rather than Debian as the desktop.. this is a fairly minor change as the two are fairly close.. a bigger change is I installed Xubuntu onto a loaner 32GB Intel SSD as the operating system drive.

SPEED!! .. very nice.. and silence. my user data still on hard drives (raid) though.

I'll return this drive (it ain't mine) but I see Scorptec have entry level Intel SSDs for under $200 now.

from my experience at work I've managed to completely kill 2 older "SUPER TALENT" and one "CORSAIR" brand SSDs in haveily write intensive applications while the Intel ones can hack it.. so Intel is the current "gold standard" for SSD.

Anyone else using SSDs?

zog
root admin: zog.net.au
[DRuG] coleader

Re: SSD for OS!

Postby [SiK]DemonSeed on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:27 pm

I bought a OCZ 120GB SSD for my laptop, extremely fast, load times for games are almost instant. And only buy one for the OS drive :P

But these are very flaky, after i installed the OS and starting installing drivers it wouldn't boot after a certain driver, by only moving it to another slot then it worked again.

And recently it wouldn't show again but after a reboot it showed again.

And make sure you disable indexing, disk fragmenting, and move the virtual memory to another drive if you have one.

And all OCZ has trim.

[SiK]DemonSeed
[SiK] member

Yeah, the drug server has been left out to die it seems.

[SiK] member

Re: SSD for OS!

Postby zog on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:12 am

[SiK]DemonSeed wrote:
And make sure you disable indexing, disk fragmenting, and move the virtual memory to another drive if you have one.

I'm in Linuxland, so maybe I dont have to worry about the above as much. I'm running my virtual memory from the SSD. The linux ext4 fileystem is supposed to play nice with SSDs, dont think this intel drive or my current kernel (2.6.32) support trim, though 2.6.33 is supposed to.

Well I'll keeping belting on this SSD some more and see how it goes.. the drive has already seen 6+ months of being WRITTEN to 24/7 (as part of an OpenSolaris based RAID array) and is still fine...

zog
[DRuG] coleader

Return to Tech & PC Chat