More technical foolery courtesy of NikT

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

More technical foolery courtesy of NikT

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:56 pm

For the last year and a half, I have tolerated the fact all my port 80 traffic only works through the tpg proxy - meaning I can only surf the net with a proxy server on & pointed to TPG... Recently port 443 also stopped, forcing the same, insecure action.

Now for the funny bit.. :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

As it turns out... after rethinking things just now...

I have Inbound and matching Outbound Services configured for everything... web, ssh, the lot..

Meaning, if I have Apache serving web on port 80, I have a port forward set up, so that all port 80 traffic goes to the right ip... all good so far...

BUT

Being thorough, I also added an outbound service allowing all for port 80, thinking this allowed the traffic through and facilitated everything running smoothly... Wrong... the Outbound services aren't required....

As it turns out, it was these outbound services that were causing all my surfing to only work through the proxy... simply removing all the rules has resulted in everything working 500% faster, with the proxy no longer required..

If this matches your current browsing limitations and you have port forwarding set up, stop laughing and go check your config.. otherwise.. laugh harder at the fact that I have been putting up with these circumstances for over 2 years and through 2 households.

[EMBARASSED]

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: More technical foolery courtesy of NikT

Postby Capsinurass on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 pm

LOL NikT i thought that with all your web admin skill you would at lest grasp the concept of needing to port forward inbound traffic and not both!

Well we do all make mistakes but 2 years of putting up with it and being your own fault, well if it was me i would be so piss off.

How did you not find this mistake b4?

that has made my day!

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:11 am

I guess since I've gone through a lot of different web managed router brands, I adopted the approach implemented in a different brand's interface. But it had never occurred to me to consider this any more than TPG's well known policy to force everything through a proxy... I figured because I have been moved to a special IP range, this was just their way of enforcing I used the proxy - denying any other way... but seems I was deluded... at least it's all working now..

I'm still trying to remember when I added the outbound rules - I suspect it was in effort to get one of the servers behaving properly.. just didn't remove it after trying, I guess.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby flongdong on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:39 pm

lmfao, never knew you could forward outbound traffic.. not that i've ever thought about it [SUSS]

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Return to Tech & PC Chat