AOL Suck - Netscape being put out to pasture

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

AOL Suck - Netscape being put out to pasture

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:21 pm

Well.. the browser that pretty much started it all.. Netscape - the mainstay for most, pre-firefox, has been bought, then put out to pasture, like so many applications I love.

Netscape was always the most refined version of the mozilla core, in it's later years taking on firefox as it's core, ultimately being put out to pasture, with the following appearing when clicking a red exclamation mark in the status bar of Netscape...

RIP Netscape.

Flock, one of the recommended alternatives, has much better support for RSS and sites like Flickr, Facebook etc, offering media management features and so on.

Zen, my girlfriend, was recommended Flock by the design crew at her work, and also recommended it to me - so that's where I'm heading post Netscape... RIP... I'll miss you. [Aww]

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: AOL Suck - Netscape being put out to pasture

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Well, after messing about with Flock for a few hours, adding all my favourite RSS feeds & so on, I have to say, this is one really unique browser with a groundbreaking feature set... it's RSS functionality alone is enough for me to switch permanently, and it's staying logged into the forums no problems.

The format for saving exported rss feed lists doesn't cover their descriptions, so the feeds from my list can be imported into others' flock browsers... but the titles will need to be redone if you use them..

My feeds for anyone that's interested in building a feeds tab:
http://nikt.ath.cx/flock-export.opml

If you're trying to find themes - there aren't many, yet - if you find some, you may be confused as to what to do with the .jar file - opening them seems to produce errors... If you open the themes window, then just drag the jar file into the theme list, it should install from then in the normal fashion you're used to.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Return to Tech & PC Chat