My Pentium 3 1000Mhz 1Gb RAM 350Gb EIDE system >> linux

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

My Pentium 3 1000Mhz 1Gb RAM 350Gb EIDE system >> linux

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:22 am

OK, the PRS scripts box is getting converted to linux, and the PRS being moved to the last remaining desktop with windows installed.

This will allow us to have MTA:DM running on a faster processor.. I suspect much of the weird behavior it's been exhibiting might in fact be that it's on a 300Mhz machine with a mere 128Mb of physical memory. While it runs linux, this is still a little low for the demands of MTA:DM, leaving the server at 1.00+ load (over 100% cpu use), where it's normally around 0.05.

Building a linux box is fiddly, so this might take a while, especially since I don't want to nuke the primary c: drive.. it's where I wrote a great percentage of the mods I've released, so I would like everything just where it sits, if possible. So linux is going on a USB 250Gb drive, while the 100Gb internal remains untouched.. I'll just set up the shares in linux to mimic how they were originally.

Most of that may not make sense to some, but to some of you it might give a better picture of what I'm doing... to the others, it = Better MTA:DM server coming soon.

I'm currently downloading the 16Gb of DVD iso's for debian 4.0r2 (etch) at 1.2Mb/sec - then to burn them and try booting off them, then the USB drive :x

Stay tuned for updates on this thread.

*edit* progress images of the desktop where I'm steering the leech session on the linux server of the latest version of debian linux.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: My Pentium 3 1000Mhz 1Gb RAM 350Gb EIDE system >> linux

Postby DragonMaster on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:19 pm

Yes, and I'm one of those people that don't understand.
Dragon:
1. A flying dinosaur.
2. Something that you'll never own.

Interesting facts:
1. DragonMaster is the commander of all dragons.
2. Only DragonMaster can call them Flynosaurs.

©569BC-1 second ago

DragonMaster
forum member
forum member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:01 pm

Well I have the first two DVDs burnt, so I've kicked off the installation of Debian linux 4.0r2 on a 1Ghz box for the MTA:DM server... I've decided to make it an xwindows workstation with all the servers displaying on it, then I can monitor everything from there.

So far I've had good luck, discovering I had a free 26Gb unpartitioned.. I must have planned ahead for just this switch.. and it's paid off. :ugeek:

This will mean that the primary drive can dual boot xp and linux, with the original xp build or the new linux server (which is where it will stay, really, but all the files from the xp boot will be available locally).

The debian installer has just formatted the debian partitions, I better get back to watching it.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:58 pm

The MTA:DM race server is now running on the 1000MHz with Debian linux running perfectly under Xwindows. Enjoy peoples. 8-)

PRS has been moved to an xp desktop on my 2.2GHz amd, the last remaining XP desktop machine in my house.

Some screens of the new Xwindows server I'm fine tuning.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Return to Tech & PC Chat