New Computer

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

Re: New Computer

Postby [M4D]FULL_METAL on Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Maybe you should consider having a look around on the ags forums and posting this, as you would get some good places that are Australian based or close to it
I am not an ordinary alchemist
The cycle of life only goes one direction, not even alchemy can change that.
It's been a good while since I've killed anyone, I kinda miss it. Ya wanna watch?

[M4D]FULL_METAL
[M4D] member

SiK, Born and Bred

[M4D] member
[AGS] member
[DRuG] member

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Well Australian is still overseas so not really any more convenient than then from the UK. Moment I start buying from overseas may as well just buy from whomever offers the cheapest. I've had a quick look at those websites though and alas they don't appear to ship overseas. Oh well. Even just buying from amazon.com saves me around 500NZD so that's an option I guess.

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

Wooo just got me a new job :) Uni pays off after all.

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby TD Mystic on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:59 am

Bump.

Why exactly do you need 16GB of 1600 mhz RAM?
Also, I don't know what your other components are, but for the stuff that you listed here, that PSU is outrageous overkill.
Case seems nice. Perhaps a bit pricey, but nice.
Do you really need a mobo with all those nice flashy extras? Just look at that list of everything it's got and ask yourself how much of it you're actually going to use. :P Good mobo nonetheless.
CPU is a beast (duh!), but again, price = whoah :o.

TD Mystic
[SKC] member
[SKC] member

Postby JabbaTheSlut on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:06 am

How come the PSU requires a power cable that is more likely to be seen in a large UPS than a standard kettle? Odd.

JabbaTheSlut
[DRuG] member

GTA V out tomorrow. It's been a long time coming but the wait is over

[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin

Postby [DK]Vectra16V on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:16 am

JabbaTheSlut wrote:How come the PSU requires a power cable that is more likely to be seen in a large UPS than a standard kettle? Odd.

Problably cost the same to make

[DK]Vectra16V
[DRuG] member

Fuck Green, Kessler the viking warrior strikes again :)

[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:38 pm

Yeah PSU is probably what I'm least sure about these days. I know what is required for the kind of hardware I have currently, but for all these more powerful and presumably more power hungry components I'm not so certain, just didn't want to underpower it, but by the sounds of it gone a bit too far the other way lol.

And yeah I'd say I do need that much RAM, I do a fair bit of random simulations and the like which really guzzle it, and a fair bit of development as well (seeing as that's what I do for a living) so it's just good to have that available. Plus frankly RAM is pretty dirt cheap these days anyway.

And your probably right with the mobo, does have a few bells and whistles that I'm unlikely to use, might have a look round for a similar spec mobo without said bells.

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Right, rejuvenating a now fairly aged thread here but after deciding to leave the purchasing of a new pc on the backburner for awhile I've now put it back on the agenda.
Some minor alterations to the original specs, which should all be good. Unless someone knows of a better choice.

Corsair Carbide 400R Full Tower Case, Black - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=399197

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Motherboard - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=403783

Enermax Revolution87+ ERV1000EWT-G - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=403777

Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2 GHz - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... ID=9400738

A-Data XPG Gaming Series 4GB x4 - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=403824

A-Data S511 Solid State Drive, 120GB - http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecific ... mID=398415

Probably going to place the order for this tomorrow. Looking forward to replacing my current aged and slowly dying comp :)

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 pm

Regarding this...how ah, safe, would it be to purchase from amazon do people reckon? I can save myself around 500NZD by doing so, but might not be worth it if it is too much of a hassle to deal with damaged products etc etc.

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby [SiK]DemonSeed on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 am

Yeah man amazon is a great company, I have bought computer parts from them and tons of other shit :P

Just be sure it's amazon themselves or 3rd parties sponsored by amazon.

Never had a problem with bad packaging or damaged parts.

Dude that ascent site is a ripoff o.O
Converted to us dollar it's wayyyy over most sites -_-

Some things are not that great.
That cpu is really nice, the K edition is a little slower than the X but really easy to overclock so the X is not worth it imo.

The case looks decent.

A-data? ewwww, heh.

And you definitely need more than 4 gb of ram, windows 7 takes up like 3.
Go with 8 for gaming.

PSU is decent.

SSD, there are better for sure.

Oh careful, the mb is a different socket than the cpu, it will not work, you need a socket 2011 mb.

And what about gpu?

[SiK]DemonSeed
[SiK] member

Yeah, the drug server has been left out to die it seems.

[SiK] member

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:23 am

Oh wow I thought I had checked the socket type was compatible, amateur move. I'd even read all sorts of reviews stating how one of the downsides is that to use that CPU many would have to change mobo too. Cheers for noticing that. Guess I'll look for an alternative after work.

Yeah I'm very much aware that ascent compared to most american sites is significantly more expensive. I tend to use em for one of purchases and the like, they do have fantastic customer service, and sadly actually are one of the cheapest options here in NZ. But yes for an order this large, and given I'm not in a huge rush to get the parts, I can save fairly significantly by purchasing overseas.

Ah with regard to the memory there I did actually put x4, so 16 in total there.

Ha, eww A-Data eh? That just a personal thing or is legitimately a bad choice?

As for Graphics Card...at the moment not giving it too much thought, its pretty easy to spend way more on that then necessary, for now I'm going to stick my Radeon HD 6870 in it. But might go for something like an MSI Geforce GTX 680 or something, not too sure.

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

PreviousNext

Return to Tech & PC Chat