New PC for flongdong! (And a small problem...)

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

New PC for flongdong! (And a small problem...)

Postby flongdong on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:14 pm

flongdong wrote:http://nikt.zog.net.au/drugcrew/plugins/bb304/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=504&start=20

i gots ta get me a job so i can play too :(

I did it! Around Feb this year I finally upgraded from my old old old old OLD pc.

Antec P180 mini black (Turns out this case is a bit of a bitch to work with, although it's quite pretty.)
Seasonic X-760 (I had an X-650 which started playing up after a couple of months. Warranty resulted in a month of me using a friends PSU from a spare PC and then getting store credit after a second return... Man it was annoying getting the cables plugged in/bent to shape a little with the new line X-760. Far stiffer cables and plugs than the X-650)
Asus P8P67-M Pro
i5 2500k (Stock clocks as of yet... I should get around to this sometime)
Scythe Mugen 2
2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600
HIS HD6950 (Flashed to unlock the rest of the shaders)

Recently added (earlier this week):
Asus Xonar DX
A dual tuner TV card
Vertex 2 120gb SSD (Yet to set this up. I am the worst/laziest geek ever. It's plugged in at least!)

I apologise for my long absence. Thought about reinstalling GTA:SA last night and getting some MTA:Race on. TO THE PROBLEM! Today I 'acquired' and installed a copy of GTA IV. After the intro, where you finally get control and you're driving a car, as I drove into the city everything started blurring out and it was like frames were stacking over each other constantly. I couldn't see anything. I brought it back up after I had it minimised while I looked for a solution, which I didn't find, and it seemed to have fixed itself. I do get intermittent freezes/lag while running around the city though. Any ideas how to fix it? I had this issue in GTA:SA on my old PC which made me slow in MTA races, haha. Did patches solve this issue, or shall I drop the settings? I assume it has something to do with loading parts of the map.

[edit] Another issue seems to be on every cut scene, the screen is black until I minimise and open it back up. [/edit]

Anyway, HI GUYS!

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Re: New PC for flongdong! (And a small problem...)

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:58 pm

GTAIV is notoriously slow and jerky - if you look up "bad pc port" in the dictionary, there's gonna be a photo of GTAIV fo sho.. however.. this definitely has results - turn vsync on - I know.. it goes against every bone in the average gamer's body, but it really makes a difference in the IV series... for the better... I find it much smoother and have found the reports on the net all confirm my experience.

Make sure you check out "Convoy Truckin'" server on SAMP - http://www.convoytrucking.net

It's quite addictive when you understand how involved and developed it is.. they have custom map areas, levels, cruise control, truck, plane and cop missions - enforced speed limits by other players in the role of police that ticket u etc.. you can buy houses and vehicles that you spawn at when you next join... so much more, I highly recommend you check it out.

[DRuG]tvc is working on an MTA version that will have custom map areas by [DRuG]Dingleman, substitute custom trucks, all sorts of shizzle.

Great to see you back.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby ]DR[Jeff on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:59 pm

Hmm I always thought it was my own PC that was the problem. Thanks for the info on improving GTA IV experience, my i7 should kickass now :D

]DR[Jeff
[DRuG] member

What's going on?!?

[DRuG] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:16 pm

Time to get me some food then morrre convoy truckin' :ugeek:

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby flongdong on Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:23 am

Hah, nice. I've gotta get around to installing SA again. Might do it tomorrow (today). I got GTA IV running pretty well. I got the latest patches and jacked the settings all up to max and it didn't run so well, so I decided to let it do it's auto settings thing and it runs smooth as butter. (vsync is ON! :)) I tend to always turn vsync on since I can actually run stably at decent fps in most games now, heh.

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Return to Tech & PC Chat