Raspberry Pi Project

Technical - hardware, software, upgrades, building your PC
Bookmark and Share

Raspberry Pi Project

Postby [DRuG]Rye on Sat May 07, 2011 10:07 am

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

The Raspberry Pi Foundation is a UK registered charity (Registration Number 1129409) which exists to promote the study of computer science and related topics, especially at school level, and to put the fun back into learning computing.

We plan to develop, manufacture and distribute an ultra-low-cost computer, for use in teaching computer programming to children. We expect this computer to have many other applications both in the developed and the developing world.

Our first product is about the size of a USB key, and is designed to plug into a TV or be combined with a touch screen for a low cost tablet. The expected price is $25 for a fully-configured system.

Interesting Project.. Though, i completely agree on his opinion about schools.
[DRuG]Killer57

[DRuG]Rye
[AGS] member

*waves back*

[AGS] member
]DR[ member
[DRuG] member

Re: Raspberry Pi Project

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat May 07, 2011 12:41 pm

Depends on the school... mine was awesome.. well - the first one was for 2 years then was out of date, so my parents moved me to a school after that with a huge computer network... they supplied me a modem and a phone line an allowed me to design, set up and host the school's BBS (pre internet).

On school camps, as an advanced skiier, I was then able to ski the mountain with my computer teacher - a very outdoors type that was also a very good skiier... saving me having to do lessons with the n00bs all week.

Once I had finished my course-work (little easy programs) I was then asked to help the teacher by moving around the room responding to people with their hand up like he was.

I guess what I'm saying is an inspired teacher that is given and passes on the necessary freedoms to those that need them can make the classroom better in as many ways as he feels inspired to.. I was lucky.

Most of this project's actions & freedoms gained demonstrated his ability to assess the situation and adapt to it, both learning and teaching his way toward "the light at the end of the tunnel" - perhaps this project is a great example of a teacher doing just that? Adapting to a situation where he isn't supplied adequate computer equipment to teach what's been set, but in the process he's taught them much more - that sometimes you need to be able to "revolutionize" with your work if you really want things to go well.

Freedom and adaptation - 2 concepts that allow teachers & their class to correctly grow in the unique directions that naturally flow for each student.. not every one is going to be a programmer, not every one is going to take 12 months to write ~500 lines of Pascal code... good teaching allows not just these people, but also the cute blonde in the corner to grow to their full potential.

No amount of funding and projects will change an uninspired teacher, a control freak, or someone that's not paid enough.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Return to Tech & PC Chat