Official PC Specs announced for GTAIV

Gaming related rumors, ideas and general gaming stuff
Bookmark and Share

Official PC Specs announced for GTAIV

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:06 pm

RockstarGamesUncut.com are proving to be a really useful and up-to the minute news source... perhaps it's best if I quote their latest news post verbatim...
GTA IV PC Recommended Specs
Published by Admin on September 13, 2008

Finally, after all these weeks speculating what GTA IV’s PC requirements would be, the Official Games for Windows site has revealed them. And after seeing them, I reckon more people will be able to play it than I suspected.

* Processor: Dual core processor (Intel Pentium D or better)
* RAM: 2GB
* Hard Drive: 18GB free hard disk space
* Video Card: 512MB Direct3D 10 compatible video card or Direct3D 9 card compatible with Shader
* Drive: DVD-ROM dual-layer drive

Not too bad to be honest, Rockstar probably lowered the specs needed to allow more PC gamers to be able to play it - and not just the hardcore group. The PC version is out November 18th later this year.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Official PC Specs announced for GTAIV

Postby [DRuG]Davo on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:45 pm

my pc doesnt meet those specs. Wonder what the minimum specs are.

[DRuG]Davo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby flongdong on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:43 pm

[DRuG]Davo wrote:my pc doesnt meet those specs. Wonder what the minimum specs are.

im with you :(

although, i have a pentium d and board sitting in a box waiting for me to get like 300 bucks. tis a pity i don't have a job.

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Davo on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:29 pm

flongdong wrote:
[DRuG]Davo wrote:my pc doesnt meet those specs. Wonder what the minimum specs are.

although, i have a pentium d and board sitting in a box waiting for me to get like 300 bucks. tis a pity i don't have a job.

why get pentium D when with $300, you can get an e8400 and a gigabyte p35 motherboard. Or you can even go for e2180 and a cheaper board for $150ish.

[DRuG]Davo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 am

Holy fuckaronie!! That rules out me playing GTA4 with recommended specs.

I don't have a dual core processor in my PC, only my laptop.
My PC has only 1GB of RAM, my laptop has 2GB.
18GB is a shitload of space, I'd have to delete a couple of TV series.
My PC's graphic card only has 256MB, regardless, it still won't have the processing power for the recommended specs.
DVD-ROM drive, the only recommended spec I meet.

Also, the new "Pentium" no longer refers to the old Dual-core Pentium Processor. It is re-branded to name the 'cheap' version of the "Core 2 Duo" (like as if it was a Celeron back in the days), but I'm not sure if it still exists. Intel HAD to make things really confusing.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:06 am

"* Hard Drive: 18GB free hard disk space"?

I call *bull shit* - although, I know, I've seen this with my own eyes on the GFWL site...

But it MUST be a typo.

Think of this: San Andreas unpacked to like 4.68 GB. It carried with it many upon many more vehicles types, weapons types, types of trees, and less efficient than current compression methods textures that all of those mentioned found in IV, even though they were half the resolution (and less).

Liberty City 08 is about 4/5 the size of San Andreas.

Double the texture resolution (biggest part of any art assets) to accommodate the new gen, take out some vehicles, take out some trees, take out some overhead by better compression techniques, and add some back in by adding a few new stations and making every one slightly longer and suddenly San Andreas is 8 gigabytes.

Disk Space Required for GTAIV? IMO - 8 Gigabytes.

The ONLY thing that would justify an 18GB space recommendation from a game that comes on ONE Dual Layer DVD is that the game truly IS built to last (as rockst5ar said - IV built to Last) - and that the future games will CONNECT to this current game in full-priced expansions. (maybe not only thing, but way more likely than a complete texture overhaul)

Yes, I am saying that the only thing that makes me believe 18GB is that vice city and san andreas from this gen will require IV to be run - they will be expansions. Makes sense when you consider #1: Liberty's airport is now on the far east side of the city; since VC is south and SA is west, this makes every flight long and more realistic.

There are probably a lot of other things that could support this, but I'll let the discussion grow and see what you guys think. The moment I saw the new position of the airport in liberty, I knew "built to last" meant something more than just DLC scripts on 360.

Unrelated: Bohan is being expanded as we speak. :geek:

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Well considering that GTA4 packs so much more details and sound than GTASA, including each one with a much higher resolution, it may be able to reach 18GB. Although 18GB is the highest I've ever seen for a PC game.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby flongdong on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:57 pm

[DRuG]Davo wrote:
flongdong wrote:

why get pentium D when with $300, you can get an e8400 and a gigabyte p35 motherboard. Or you can even go for e2180 and a cheaper board for $150ish.

the 300 i mentioned is for a case, psu and video card. i already have the pentium D and board. lol

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby Capsinurass on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:09 pm

[DRuG]Jerz wrote:"Think of this: San Andreas unpacked to like 4.68 GB. It carried with it many upon many more vehicles types, weapons types, types of trees, and less efficient than current compression methods textures that all of those mentioned found in IV, even though they were half the resolution (and less)."

GTA SA only had 11 radio stations, GTA 4 has 18! the the texturs will have a lot more detal which makes them bigger soo i can see how it would get to 18 gb, and my pc rapes those specs :D

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Shane0 on Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 am

Ok big thanks to [DRuG]Slick for sending me this link on msn.

http://planetgrandtheftauto.gamespy.com/fullstory.php?id=154747 wrote:GTA IV for Windows XP/Vista System Requirements [ 1 Comment ]
Thursday, 30 October, 2008 at 12:58 PST | Jordan | Print News
Grand Theft Auto IV has been delayed two weeks to December 2nd of this year. Here's what you'll need to play the game on your Windows computer:

Minimum System Requirements:
# OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
# Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8Ghz, AMD Athlon X2 64 2.4Ghz
# Memory: 1.5GB, 16GB Free Hard Drive Space
# Video Card: 256MB NVIDIA 7900 / 256MB ATI X1900

Recommended System Requirements:
# OS: Windows Vista - Service Pack 1 / XP - Service Pack 3
# Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4Ghz, AMD Phenom X3 2.1Ghz
# Memory: 2 GB (Windows XP) 2.5 GB (Windows Vista)
# 18 GB Free Hard Drive Space
# Video Card: 512MB NVIDIA 8600 / 512MB ATI 3870

Thanks to IGN for the news.

More Planet Grand Theft Auto

So it looks like this is the more updated verson and i got all those reqirements and i was trying to find an excuse to upgrade my gfx card :(

[DRuG]Shane0
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[TDS] member
[CJS] member
]DR[ member

Next

Return to Gaming Chat