[DRuG]NikT interviewed for Jesper's MA-Thesis

Gaming related rumors, ideas and general gaming stuff
Bookmark and Share

[DRuG]NikT interviewed for Jesper's MA-Thesis

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun May 25, 2008 4:17 am

Jesper Theodorsem, from University of Amsterdam is working on his master thesis, which is to submitted to ASCOR (Amsterdam School of Communication Research). the title of the thesis is:

PARTICIPATORY CULTURE ON WEB 2.0:
EXPLORING THE MOTIVES FOR MODDING VIDEO GAMES

In the interview he was asking various questions around modding. Later the thesis is set to be published in either a book or a journal, in which he's also going to include some mods as a case study.

Transcript from the interview....
Jesper says (1:05 AM):
Okay - then I would just start be telling you a bit about the interview (procedure and formalities).
NikT says (1:05 AM):
kk
First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to take part in this interview. I greatly appreciate your willingness to participate in this project; and your answers and remarks are of great value for my research.
My name is Jesper Theodorsen, and I am an international student at the University of Amsterdam where I am doing my Masters Degree in Communication studies. Currently, I am conducting research in the field of video game modding and user created content, which is the subject of my Master’s thesis.
In my research I am concentrating on three different modding scenes/communities. The modding scene around ________ [insert name of video game accordingly] has been elected as one of the case studies for my research. The goal of my research is to examine the motives that drive gamers to engage in modding, and thereby, to develop a better understanding of the overall dynamics of Web2.0.
Jesper says (1:06 AM):
I mean GTA.
I expect this whole session to take about 45-50 minutes.
For practical reasons I have to inform you about the following:
Your answers will be kept confidential, and only my two supervisors from the University of Amsterdam and myself will have full access to your answers.
With your permission, I would, however, like to include parts of your answers in my thesis. These remarks will be quoted using not your real name but an alias, so there will be no link between you and the quoted remarks; unless you would like me to
Your participation is voluntary, and the session can be stopped anytime, if you wish to do so. However, I do of course hope that this should not be the case.
In this interview session I will pose you a number of questions, which I would like you to answer. Should you have any questions during the interview, please feel free to interrupt and ask.
Before we start, I would like to hear if you have any further questions or remarks concerning the interview?
NikT says (1:07 AM):
nah that's fine, go ahead, and you're welcome to use my name in any of it's forms
Jesper says (1:07 AM):
Okay. Your real name or an alias?
NikT says (1:09 AM):
well they're almost one and the same - I go by Nik Trathen (real), NikT (real and nick, since my girlfriend calls me nikt too) or my clan name [DRuG]NikT
Jesper says (1:09 AM):
So what would you prefer I use when I quote you?
I used to use the alias 'toast' but a guy from razor1911 turned out to have the same alias when the internet arose... wise idea was to let him have the nick
NikT says (1:10 AM):
[DRuG]NikT is probably best
Jesper says (1:10 AM):
Okay.
then Ill just begin to fire away.
As you are engaged in creating mods for GTA, I would first like to ask you about the latest mod you made.
Could you in some detail describe this mod, and also explain the reasons why you created this specific mod?

NikT says (1:15 AM):
My latest released mod, well, it wasn't really the last mod I made, but rather, the last I received permission for release back from the mesh's original creator. Most of my work involves rigging models for use as vehicles in the game, but I use other's artistic work as a base - with their full permission, of course. To create then use in game, for me, I guess, is the motivation to create mods..
NikT says (1:17 AM):
The vehicle was, in this case, a Tardis, from Dr. Who, to replace a helicopter in GTA San Andreas.. you can fly about in a Tardis.. looks hysterical in MTA|SA Multiplayer helicopter races
Jesper says (1:18 AM):
And how long did it take you to create this mod?
NikT says (1:18 AM):
Well part of the goal of my approach is to minimize precisely that - so about two days
NikT says (1:19 AM):
most of my time is spent playing with the thing in game, tweaking is generally all that's done in subsequent re-edits
Jesper says (1:19 AM):
And in working hours if you would give an estimate?
NikT says (1:20 AM):
oh I would have spent about 90 percent of the time in game racing with it and maybe 2 hours total in 3D studio max and a few other tools getting the release to 100%
NikT says (1:21 AM):
so abour 6 hours just observing it = bug checking by playing in game and making sure there's no issues when it appears
Jesper says (1:21 AM):
Are you currently working on a mod, or do you plan to create a new mod in the near future?
Jesper says (1:21 AM):
If this is the case, could you tell me about this mod, and the reasons why you are creating/want to create it?
NikT says (1:23 AM):
most of it is done out of a combination of boredom and mood.. like - a more final version of the Tardis could be released that includes some lighting effects for the blue siren on top and to emit an emeraly light from inside
*emerald
but that, one again, probably won't get touched unless I'm reallt bored or in the mood
Jesper says (1:24 AM):
Could you please explain what the Tardis is? I am sorry but I do not know that or what it is?
NikT says (1:24 AM):
one = once
NikT says (1:24 AM):
http://nikt.zog.net.au/who.jpg
Jesper says (1:25 AM):
Okay from BBCs ... I can remember the name...
NikT says (1:25 AM):
yeh Dr Who
Jesper says (1:25 AM):
Thanks.
NikT says (1:26 AM):
as you can see, I did the dalek too, so that kinda motivated the box
Jesper says (1:26 AM):
could you tell me about this mod, and the reasons why you are creating it?
Jesper says (1:26 AM):
Fan of Dr. Who?
yeh
andit was somethign left of centre that people don't expect as a flying machine
I like my mods to generally be slightly unusual
Jesper says (1:27 AM):
And andit is also from Dr. Who - just to be clear?
NikT says (1:27 AM):
yeh
Jesper says (1:27 AM):
Could you describe how your interest in modding began?

NikT says (1:28 AM):
mainly because I customize anything I use regularly, games being no exception
NikT says (1:28 AM):
when I started DRuG, I found the people I was recruiting werelike minded, so we evolved primarily into a modding clan, which just served to deepen the obsession
Jesper says (1:29 AM):
When you publish a mod on modding websites, it is often possible for other users to comment on that mod. How important are these comments from other users for you?
NikT says (1:32 AM):
they naturally have the potential to effect you deeply but really a lot of the criticism you receive early on can nearly stop a lot of modders.. it's hard to ramain faithful to what you set out to do if you don't get positive feedback and encouragement... there is a very supportive community out there, though... it does help... but it doesn't stop you when it's negative, since it isn't the primary
NikT says (1:32 AM):
motivation for me to be doing what I'm doing
Jesper says (1:32 AM):
Does positive feedback from other users encourage you to create more mods?
NikT says (1:34 AM):
not always.. it's more often other people's releases that motivate me to release new stuff... in an effort to 'give back' where there's so many awesome contributions from the community
Jesper says (1:34 AM):
How would negative comments ( ) influence your engagement in creating mods?
NikT says (1:37 AM):
I once released a player model for vice city.. there were many around because of the high technical degree of difficulty involved in rigging a model - the feedback I received was 'looks like you just slapped another head on Tommy - and not a very good one' - I snapped in response and didn't work much further on that project - sad really, since they were right, with a little work it had potential
NikT says (1:37 AM):
* were = weren't
Jesper says (1:37 AM):
lDo you also create mods for other games than GTA?
Jesper says (1:37 AM):
If so, for which games?
NikT says (1:38 AM):
Flight Sim, Trackmania Sunrise, a few others but unreleased
Jesper says (1:39 AM):
Just for yourself or are they not yet done?
NikT says (1:39 AM):
The FS/TM ones were released but no others
Jesper says (1:39 AM):
But mainly you focus on GTA?
NikT says (1:39 AM):
yeh but only because that's mainly what I've been playing
NikT says (1:40 AM):
like, we started working on mods for Flat Out
but didn't play it enough
so projects there kinda petered out
Jesper says (1:41 AM):
So you mainly make mods for GTA, why then this game?
NikT says (1:42 AM):
not really into gun fighting, more just messing around in an outdoor. extensible 3d map.. one that's moddable - GTA is the perfect platform for this
NikT says (1:42 AM):
especially with a community modded multiplayer, means mods can be applied at almost every level
Jesper says (1:43 AM):
what fascinates you about this particular game?
NikT says (1:43 AM):
precisely the above
NikT says (1:44 AM):
like, sci fi novels like William Gibson's Neuromancer, Neil Stephensons' Snow Crash etc... they're all partially set in extensible, 3d universes
NikT says (1:45 AM):
that each day, have new parts appearing
this was kinda the birth of that.. just we haven't got full virtual reality yet
Jesper says (1:45 AM):
And how significant would you say are mods (or the possibility to integrate mods into GTA) for the success of this game?
well they'
NikT says (1:46 AM):
re essential to the experience of this extensible universe I'm describing, but the game didn't intend for them to exist originally, so in it's context, they don't.. just mine
NikT says (1:47 AM):
I think the mods are what draw a lot of people to games, or their availability.. but I suspect its also that modding experience that I appreciate that many others are there for, too
Jesper says (1:48 AM):
How many hours do you spent on playing digital games per week? (average)
NikT says (1:49 AM):
this varies in relation to the release patterns of mods, the multiplayer framework and the game series itself... at this stage, about an hour a week.. 6 months ago, about 6 hours a night
Jesper says (1:49 AM):
Why does playing digital games appeal to you?
NikT says (1:50 AM):
something lightweight to do after a stressful day that doesn't require much effort, an experience that is unique and evolving first within my generation
Jesper says (1:51 AM):
How many hours do you approximately spend on modding per week?
NikT says (1:51 AM):
this also varies in relation to the release patterns of mods, the multiplayer framework and the game series itself... at this stage, about an hour a month.. 6 months ago, about 6 hours a night
Jesper says (1:52 AM):
Apart from modding, what other hobbies do you pursue in your leisure time?
NikT says (1:53 AM):
downhill skiing, writing, listening and dancing to electronic music, technical fiddlery with linux, webtek and other geekness.. lately been diddling a fair bit with facebook

Jesper says (1:54 AM):
What benefits do you gain from modding that your other leisure time activities cannot give you?
NikT says (1:54 AM):
the reward of creating something unique that other people can get some fun out of
Jesper says (1:55 AM):
Do you also download mods yourself? And if so why?
NikT says (1:55 AM):
same reason I create them.. it's integral to my gameplay experience.. if it wasn't to test out new mods, I'm not sure I'd keep playing
Jesper says (1:56 AM):
So you do downloads mods yourself?
NikT says (1:56 AM):
yeah stacks
Jesper says (1:57 AM):
Sorry for asking but Stacks is a game?
NikT says (1:57 AM):
no its a slang way of saying I download a lot of mods
Jesper says (1:58 AM):
Could you give 2 or three examples?
NikT says (2:01 AM):
mostly car and plane modifications - my most recent 3 would be the Red Bull Extra 300 stunt plane replacement and texture converted from Flight Sim X to GTA SA.. the Qantas Boeing 737-800 and texture, also converted from Flight Sim X to GTA SA, and last but not least the Honda NSX by GTAuron
Jesper says (2:03 AM):
As you download mods created by other gamers, does that make you feel that you, yourself, should continue creating mods as well?
NikT says (2:03 AM):
yes, it's probably the most inspiring factor
Jesper says (2:05 AM):
Do you see mods created by other gamers as a benchmark for your own creations?
NikT says (2:06 AM):
not really.. the envelope of standards out there is as rediculously wide as it is anywhere else on the internet.. you have to really look more to working to the best of your own abilities for a realistic guage.
Jesper says (2:06 AM):
So do you aim at creating better mods than other modders?
NikT says (2:07 AM):
that's not a realistic expectation for almost anyone.. by definition there's always going to be someone better... I just look to contribute to the scene like most others, to the best of my current abilities
Jesper says (2:09 AM):
Could you please in your own words explain why you create mods?
NikT says (2:11 AM):
for the buzz of seeing something that I want in game, in game.. from my work... then for the buzz of knowing that I can pass that bazz on to someone else.. just like they have to me in the past
Jesper says (2:11 AM):
When creating a mod, do you then wish to improve your own gaming experience?
NikT says (2:11 AM):
yeh
Jesper says (2:11 AM):
Would a dissatisfaction with the original design make you want to create mods for a game?
NikT says (2:12 AM):
and that of making it more personalized - my 'own'
NikT says (2:12 AM):
so, yes
Jesper says (2:13 AM):
Have you ever created a mod because you wanted to incorporate aspects of your real life into the world of the game?
NikT says (2:14 AM):
yes but not the primary reason - I often substitute things in to allow me to do things I cant but maybe wish I could <safely> do in the real world, like jump about in crazed stunt parks with heavily modified vehiles and maps
Jesper says (2:15 AM):
Could you describe this mod to me, and explain which particular aspect/s of your real life it reflect/s?
NikT says (2:16 AM):
it was a Bobcat excavator
I always wanted to soup one up and go stunting in it
but you wouldn't reallly wanna do that in real life.. you'd get badly injured pretty quickly
Jesper says (2:17 AM):
Which of the mods that you created, are/were you most proud of, and why?
NikT says (2:19 AM):
probably the ones that involved the most potential for enhanced gameplay.. I converted a bit of scenery - a fixed location aircraft carrier into a working ship - I was awarded and proud for this one, as it involved thinking outside to square to conceptualize, and added a great deal to the game
NikT says (2:19 AM):
tosquare=the square
Jesper says (2:21 AM):
Could you give me some details about this mod? e.g. which game, what kind of scenary?
NikT says (2:24 AM):
In an area in GTA San Andreas.. the Easter Bay, there was, by default, an Aircraft carrier, miles bigger than any vehicle in game, but it wasn't a vehicle - it was just part of the senery... has a very detailed, prelit interior with staircases and several levels - including a wetdock at the rear where boats can be landed. I converted it into a vehicle to replace one of the yachts, you could drive
NikT says (2:25 AM):
yu can run around inside it while people drive it, have gun battles, land planes on it
NikT says (2:26 AM):
with the scripting in mta dm allowing external models to be hosted on multiplayer servers, I've been planning to release a battleships game mode, but this is still just a plan
Jesper says (2:29 AM):
Is it possible for you to send my a screenshot of this mod?
NikT says (2:29 AM):
sure 1 sec
http://nikt.zog.net.au/carrierboat4.jpg
Jesper says (2:29 AM):
In my paper, I would like to include some illustrations of mods. Would you give me your permission to represent your mod in my paper?
sure
Jesper says (2:30 AM):
Are you part of a modding team, or do you work independently?
NikT says (2:30 AM):
I work independently but lead a team of nearly 100 modders
Jesper says (2:31 AM):
So you work in a team, what does being part of this team mean to you?
NikT says (2:31 AM):
it means I know I have an audience, I guess
Jesper says (2:31 AM):
I mean you can say you also work in a team, what does that mean to you socially?
NikT says (2:32 AM):
just that I have people that I expect will be interested in my work, and a crew of people who's work I know I'm interested in
Jesper says (2:32 AM):
How would you characterize your relationship with the other team members?
NikT says (2:33 AM):
varied, but some I know in person, others I just get sent stuff to release on our site once every 6 months or so.
Jesper says (2:34 AM):
Do you have friends in the team you leadP=
Jesper says (2:34 AM):
lead?
NikT says (2:34 AM):
yeh
NikT says (2:35 AM):
they're all my friends really, just as the founding member I guess I got the role as leader - there's no power trips in DRuG
Jesper says (2:35 AM):
Some modders create mods because they wish to become professional game developers themselves.
Is the wish to one day work in the game industry a motive for you to do mods?

NikT says (2:36 AM):
I have no direct desire to turn the things I have a passion for into work.. I've made this mistake before and I fear it can remove all fun from the pursuit
Jesper says (2:37 AM):
There are plenty of forums where you can publish your mod. Why do you publish it precisely on GTAInside?
Jesper says (2:37 AM):
It was GTAinside, right?
NikT says (2:38 AM):
I publish on approximately 3 of the majorly followed networks that release for GTA.. the rest tend to mirror the content from those 3, or contact me directly to request their hosting of my mods
NikT says (2:39 AM):
many just host them without contacting me, but on the whole, most asked
NikT says (2:40 AM):
I can send u more shots of the carrier if u like
Jesper says (2:41 AM):
If you could make a few screenshots, then I would pick one or two to include in the paper? Who should I quote you? what do you prefer?
NikT says (2:41 AM):
otf_pic.php?pic_cat=GTA%20San%20Andreas&pic_id=carrierboat3.jpg otf_pic.php?pic_cat=GTA%20San%20Andreas&pic_id=carrierboat.jpg
NikT says (2:42 AM):
theres stacks in the gallery on forums.drugcrew.com but those two kinda show the carrier in two spots that give away the fact it's not the normal location for the carrier in san andreas
Jesper says (2:42 AM):
Okay - thanks
Jesper says (2:45 AM):
In your circle of acquaintances besides those in your team, do you know of any other gamer who also creates mods?
NikT says (2:45 AM):
yeh almost all of them do
NikT says (2:46 AM):
Trix, for example, is one contributing developers that produced SA|MP - the multiplayer mod for GTA San Andreas
NikT says (2:47 AM):
but hes in my team
hand on
&hang on
Jesper says (2:47 AM):
As you have acquaintances (Trix) that are interested in modding as well, do you then show him your mod before you publish it in order to see what they think of it?
*hang on Trix is a bad example.. he's a DRuG member
NikT says (2:48 AM):
but yeah, we show allies from other clans etc mods before we release them, and save of them showing us theirs
NikT says (2:48 AM):
*save=same
NikT says (2:49 AM):
its a very coorperative and respectful scene, like, -]alw[- develop groundbreaking mods, a lot like DRuG, but we often share ideas and discussion on their development before release
NikT says (2:50 AM):
only a few times have I seen this go badly - and never with an allied clan
Jesper says (2:51 AM):
When you publish a mod, other users might download it, and integrate it into their game.
That means they might be playing with a product you have created.

How does that make you feel?

NikT says (2:52 AM):
awesome.. it means 'mission accomplished' in terms of me giving back to the scene
Jesper says (2:52 AM):
When you publish a mod, it will be available for free download by users across the world. You might have spent many hours of work developing that mod, and then you give it away for free. Is that something you think of?
NikT says (2:53 AM):
yeh, artistic work to me, feels more fair to give away than charge for... art involves putting your spirit into something, and putting a price tag on that to me feels kinda cheap
NikT says (2:54 AM):
its like.. I make origami, can you imagine charging for that? It wouldn't feel right, and you could never charge as much as the work that was put in
Jesper says (2:55 AM):
We are now almost done with the interview. Before ending this session, could you please state your age, nationality, whether you attend school/higher education, or your current occupation?
NikT says (2:58 AM):
OK, I'm 35 - been gaming since 12, so I'm not old you're just a noob 8) I'm Australian, as is most of my clan but we have members from all over the world.. I attended high school to final year, then 2 years of tertiary studying IT and I am currently working as a technical support specialist for CSL Biotherapies in Melbourne, Australia.
Jesper says (2:59 AM):
Finally, I would like to ask you if you have any remarks, or if there is any aspect considering your modding activities which you think has not been sufficiently covered yet.
NikT says (3:00 AM):
mainly where you can find more information on my modding crew, including our news blog going back over the last 4 years as we've released things... http://drugcrew.com
Jesper says (3:01 AM):
As you are the leader of this team then I can ask for your permittion to copy and insert picture of the work of drugcrew into my work. Is that okay?
NikT says (3:01 AM):
sure
NikT says (3:01 AM):
that would be good
Jesper says (3:02 AM):
So, that’s it. I really appreciate that you agreed upon taking part in this session.
Jesper says (3:02 AM):
If you have any questions or concerns about this interview of if you would be interested in receiving an electronic copy of my thesis when it is done in some months time, feel free to let me know.
NikT says (3:03 AM):
no problems, thanks for the interest and yes, I would be very interested to see it
Jesper says (3:03 AM):
Can I contact you again if I need to clarify some matters via email?
NikT says (3:03 AM):
sure
Jesper says (3:04 AM):
I will sent you an version of my thesis when I have handed it in. This will be around September.
NikT says (3:04 AM):
cool

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: [DRuG]NikT interviewed for Jesper's MA-Thesis

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Sun May 25, 2008 4:47 pm

Wow sweet as dude :D

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Postby [DRuG]Davo on Sun May 25, 2008 6:44 pm

Interesting read, good stuff.

[DRuG]Davo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby flongdong on Mon May 26, 2008 9:14 pm

awesome, we're famous!! :D

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Tue May 27, 2008 6:50 am

haha awesome, represent!

Sorry for asking but Stacks is a game?

lololol

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Tue May 27, 2008 8:10 pm

Was a nice read about modding, when I had the time to read it 8-)

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby eNathan on Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:19 pm

The most funny part was this I believe..

Before we start, I would like to hear if you have any further questions or remarks concerning the interview?
NikT says (1:07 AM):
nah that's fine, go ahead, and you're welcome to use my name in any of it's forms
Jesper says (1:07 AM):
Okay. Your real name or an alias?
well they're almost one and the same - I go by Nik Trathen (real), NikT (real and nick, since my girlfriend calls me nikt too) or my clan name [DRuG]NikT
Jesper says (1:09 AM):
So what would you prefer I use when I quote you?
I used to use the alias 'toast' but a guy from razor1911 turned out to have the same alias when the internet arose... wise idea was to let him have the nick
NikT says (1:10 AM):
[DRuG]NikT is probably best

I would like to see the look on the faces on the committee who reads this M.A. thesis when they read [DRuG]NitK. Most of them are probably 50 year old men who've never seen a clan tag in their lives. Jesper probably had a few Lols as well from it.

Gj. I'm sure he chose you for a reason.. GTA's most famous modder perhaps.
~{SS}-Mafia (Proud Co-Leader); http://mta-ss.com

Note: Not everything on the internets has significant meaning. ;o

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Return to Gaming Chat