Grit Game Engine + Game Engine Forum

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

Grit Game Engine + Game Engine Forum

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:37 am

Hey all, friends and I are organizing and working on a new game engine intended to answer all the hassles one is faced with GTA Modding (i.e. NO, you can't make spiderman, it's hard coded! etc - you can with Grit).

It is really early in development now, however the main inspiration for this engine was San Andreas Modding and more importantly SAMP/MTA.

Grit uses Ogre to render and EVERYTHING that can be done in Lua is done in Lua to make sure EVERYTHING is constantly open to the user, save for data intensive code that really MUST be done in C++.

Grit game engine is found there and we have a small dedicated game engine forum as well.

There is also a wiki and more planned.

SVN is open and on SourceForge - you can go in and get your hands dirty if you want! You can see [very old] videos on the site currently, and while there are no public builds currently, we do share the private build with cool folks who are ready to succeed GTA modding into the next generation since there really isn't much in the future of IV and SA is starting to look haggard.

The idea here is that no help is too small, and that this is the new engine of choice since the people who made tools for these games prefer left 4 dead now.

I'm sure I could add more, but I'll leave room for any questions fellow DRuGclansmen and affiliates, and let you take a peek yourself instead of talk your eyes out in this post.

We already have working planes, cars, advanced render techniques like parallax normal mapping and specular channels and more with an utmost emphasis that GTA was too closed and too hard to mod with crap tools that never matured - we will only really be successful by keeping that in focus, so be assured that we are open to suggestions and also hope to end up providing the most modder friendly and game dev friendly open world streaming game engine of all time.

What do you think? Let us know, and join in. I told Nik about it already and while he's really busy right now it sounds like he'll enjoy this technology if we can pull it off. We aim to impress, and 'We' includes all people involved. Be it a logo artist to a texture artist to a modeler to a coder to a physicist - we is Grit, Grit is us. The people who DIDN'T forget GTA Modding and wouldn't accept "Hard Coded" :)

Posted here because while we intend to be similar to it, this is not a GTA Modding thing, and though it is an engine this is not programming discussion. Etc.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Re: Grit Game Engine + Game Engine Forum

Postby flongdong on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:19 pm

sounds interesting. just wish i had some skillz to help out :(

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Jumpman23 on Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:30 pm

flongdong wrote:sounds interesting. just wish i had some skillz to help out :(

as stated above

[DRuG]Jumpman23
[DRuG] member

FINISHED EXAMS, BACK TO GTA

[DRuG] member
[CJS] member
DRuG server admin

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:27 am

You just might be able to! Even by spreading the word to Lua coders, especially those of us into MTA! We plan to give GTA modders the next generation that IV didn't, including networking.

Engine is coming along, not a lot to show in this post but there are some new videos and the forum is slowly becoming active!

You are all more than welcome and I'd appreciate it, especially since your input would help define grit!Even your opinion counts as contribution here :geek:

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:02 pm

I've spoken to my friend Jon about this this morning, in the past he's successfully developed an open source game for linux/irix called obsidian.. this was during the quake 2 era, so sorta went under the radar, though at the time was quite sophisticated with p2p networking multiplayer.

He's going to take a look at this thread and the grit forums when he gets home in a day or two. Recently he's started work on backend universe systems in python and is considering gfx engine dev in C.

I'd suspect what we have here potentially is a perfect match for the project.. I'll keep you updated and he says he'll speak to you soon. [mrgreen] [mrgreen]

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Didn't see this, however saw a visit from this thread today, I hope it's him perhaps!

Awesome Nik, also man, if you still come on GTANet IRC, come to #gritengine?

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Return to General Chat (Off-Topic)