Thesis studies DRuG: PARTICIPATORY CULTURE ON WEB 2.0

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

Thesis studies DRuG: PARTICIPATORY CULTURE ON WEB 2.0

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Quite some time ago, now, Jesper Theodorsen wrote his thesis at the University of Amsterdam on "Participatory Culture on Web 2.0: Exploring the motives for modding video games". As part of this study, he interviewed me.

Since submitting the thesis, I received this feedback from him:

in email to me, Jesper Theodorsen wrote:Dear All,

This email is long overdue and you should have received it a long time ago. Please excuse the delay.

In June & July I had the pleasure of conducting interviews with you concerning modding video games. The interviews were part of my master thesis in which I investigated the motives for modding video games.
In late August 2008 I handed in the Master thesis and in September I finally graduated from the University of Amsterdam. The thesis was well received by my supervisor and yesterday the results from the thesis was presented at the annually Dutch Communication Conference in Nijmegen. Later this year (May) the thesis will be presented at the International Communication Association Conference in Chicago, Il. So, I am very happy about that. Furthermore, the parts of the thesis will be publish as a chapter in a book in late 2009.

Since my graduation in September I habe been working on a Phd-research proposal about modding and machinima for the Univeristy in Copenhagen. Whether I will be accepted for the program and get a scholarship will be decided in some months time.

When I did the interview with you, I promised to sent you a copy of the thesis. So, please find the master thesis attached in this email as a pdf-file. I have however one request:
As the thesis is still to be publsihed I kindly ask you not to publish or make this file available on the Internet.

If you have any remarks or questions concerning the thesis please feel free to contact me.

Kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüssen

Jesper Theodorsen

The paper includes a screenshot (seen below) of my Dalek and Tardis mods, and as can be read above, is going to be in a book and presented at a world conference.

:) :) :) :) :) we're famous :) :) :) :) :)

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Thesis studies DRuG: PARTICIPATORY CULTURE ON WEB 2.0

Postby flongdong on Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:55 pm

noiiiiice. love the pic, lol.

one problem: i've never done any modding! ahhh, i'm not famous... :cry:

also, could you pm/msn me a copy of that thesis? i don't really read often, but i'm curious anyway.

flongdong
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Re: Thesis studies DRuG: PARTICIPATORY CULTURE ON WEB 2.0

Postby [DRuG]Grish on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 pm

that's pretty cool.
8-)

[DRuG]Grish
[DRuG] coleader

i eated a butter

[DRuG] coleader