New Google Chrome is Amazing

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

New Google Chrome is Amazing

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:54 pm

This browser is sick - you guys need to try it. It is fast as all hell and handles ALL tabs as their own seperate processes - this is obviously a HUGE leap for web 2.0

If the significance of this previous statement does not hit you right away, or if the inner workings of browsers and the old technology they use to run an all new, evolved, internet that we see today are not your forte, check out the webcomic:

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome

And here you will find the browser itself:

http://www.google.com/chrome

It is Open Source, fast as all hell, has entirely new philosophy for the running and even cleaning-up of garbage in JavaScript - not only does is compile javascript into machine code, giving it that much more speed, it also cleans up in a revolutionary new way.

There is so much to talk about it, but before I go on with my ranting, I will let you guys check the ins and outs the same way I did: Google searches, videos, the webcomic, and finally the install - which has led to instant love.

I'm serious - read about the features first, get a little turned OFF to it, read on, get hooked to the install, and be amazed on first run. This damn browser is sick.

If you want to take the extra leap and see just where this will go in the future, and just how big of a deal this really is, do some research on gOS and gOS space - operating systems based on ubuntu (live cd's available) that emphasize and make clearer where google is going with all of this. gOS is not affiliated with google, stands for Good OS, but has been dubbed by its users as the Google OS - because it uses the WebApps idea long before chrome came out (last night).

Much of what we do online is no longer simple midi playback and html rendering. many of the things we do are applications. Forums and other database front ends, new advanced browser based games running on engines made for browsers (held back until Chrome gets rolling), anything Google is an application... It's all different than before, and Chrome is meeting that demand.

Ok. I've dropped some spaghetti strings of infos here until the topic kicks off - I'm very excited about this browser, and I am sure you will be surprised, especially the whole philosophy google puts behind it (made apparent most relevantly in the WebComic)

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Re: New Google Chrome is Amazing

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:09 am

Yeah I've tried it, awesome browser. It's really fresh and gives heaps of screen space. The thing that's lacking is... I miss my add-ons. I need an ad blocker at least, to get rid of those annoying banners.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:24 am

Someone should be turkey slapped for leaving out any kind of customization - sheesh, even a colour changer like msn would have done nicely.

It also behaves pretty funny for a "Web 2.0" browser when it screws up some pretty basic shit on Facebook - deleting news feed posts doesn't work, "show older news" doesn't either and checkboxes for remembering site logins appear to have been hacked off in favour of their internal password storing mechanism.

Performance wise, I like that it's snappy.. so far doesn't seem to use much resources cept a bit too much HDD activity... I also like that it displays interlaced images with a rather cool version of the rezzing in effect.

YAY! allow all cookies by default... this may be interesting to see if it proves dangerous, but I'm pleased because I know how often I get calls where I have to set browsers to allow cookies for sites to work.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:50 am

Well it is in BETA mode, and I heard that they're promising some API - meaning there will eventually be support for add-ons. Just takes time Nikt :P

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 am

Speaking of which;

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER NIZZLE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\0.2.149.27\Themes

Only a default.dll in there. I found this inside of that though(?):

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
</assembly>

hmf.

And check this out:

Code: Select all
"download": {
      "default_directory": "C:\\Documents and Settings\\%USER NIZZLE%\\Desktop",
      "extensions_to_open": "",
      "prompt_for_download": false

From preferences, a file bearing no extension, text format.

And plug-ins are based on gears:

C:\Documents and Settings\%USER NIZZLE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\Plugins\gears

I think that means it's already possible, but I'm just skimming and trying to figure out what's going on.

edit: the bit above in assembly tags might just be the browser intellisense

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:11 pm

Chrome theme editor:

http://psytoy.net/everything-else/googl ... me-editor/

Someone spent some more time with RH than I did:

http://chrome-forum.net/index.php?topic=19

Themes NikT ;)

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:34 pm

It's still a resource hog that indexes for google. I am officially not a fan.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:23 am

I wouldn't call it a resource hog. At all. What it does inherently calls for more ram.

if it was an old school browser, yea, it's a resource hog. But the thing it does to browsers? decent trade off.

The indexing thing, yea, that's bothersome, but everything else google is tied to online already does that too. Like adsense, etc. I've got google desktop and sidebar though, however I disabled the indexing by telling it to ignore all my drives ;) (only way to get "only" the sidebar)

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:40 pm

As a geek, part of my role is to suggest to non geeks what's cool and what's not.

Here's some geek stuff I think isn't cool, because of what it stands for in terms of unethical tech.

- eBay using dll files as part of it's web site (there is no adequate excuse for this)
- Google indexing my computer and storing the data on their remote databases without consulting me
(even if there is an option to turn it off, what NON geek would bother?)
- Microsoft doing much the same with their Live Search tools
- Facebook being part owned by the finance arm of the CIA but not publicizing this fact.
- Microsoft having US intelligence staff on M$ programming teams throughout the development of windows

I guess my major concern with things like this is, it's not OK for someone to knock on my door, then demand to be let in to take a few photos and draw out a basic map. I would also object to them demanding a short survey of my daily activities and behavior.

The fact that companies are allowed to get away with this sort of behavior on any level makes me quite irate, especially when at the same time, we raise such embarrassing charges at Microsoft, like "antitrust" - where we tell them they're too big and demand they divide into two parts, right at the same time Hewlett Packard are doing precisely the same thing ,in order to become more agile (reference their medical division, now hugely successful in it's own right, Agilent).

It seems to me we should be still at the stage of laying down the ground rules of just what constitutes information invasion.

Example problem we can expect to evolve if things like this are ignored? Imagine if 6 months from now, someone like one of DRuG's tricky web coders, came up with a tool that could query these databases and display in depth information kept by the likes of Google or Microsoft? I assume this sort of data is already available to the select few designing these information collection mechanisms, my concern is, why has their collection never been brought properly into legal question.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:29 am

I'm quickly, at this point, following along in the same thinking.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Return to General Chat (Off-Topic)