Firefox 3 to be released on the 17th

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

Re: Firefox 3 to be released on the 17th

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:26 am

Now it is time to consider an Fx upgrade for me. 8)

I watched the video - or features demo - and felt it's kinda cheesy. I may be going with opera after Fx 2.0. Fx 3.0 looks like a noob shell to me - and a lot seems to have changed. It may have ONLY been improved, in which case, awesome, but those particular improvements are laughable at best, imo. 15000 upgrades? Please, Mozilla, name... 50 of them. I can't tell.

I think I will get opera again - speed dial is pretty awesome, better than the bar in Fx in some ways. Fx is good, but if it doesn't RENDER faster than Fx2, then fuck Fx3. I know it's '2 to 3 times faster but that isn't rendering... that's stupid ass shortcuts.

Fx3 claims to be faster just because they replaced "Click - Drag - Drop on top of Bookmark Toolbar" with "click this faggy looking star once, or twice!" Gay?

I'm considering Fx3, but so far I'm going opera with my next reformat... which is soon... because I fear data miners have broken into my batcave back gates.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Postby [SiK]DemonSeed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:52 am

did this Firefox 3 violate you in some way? :P I sense some tension.

[SiK]DemonSeed
[SiK] member

Yeah, the drug server has been left out to die it seems.

[SiK] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:23 am

wow DS, you're right lol. It bit me because it is really like... it's a new browser...

Plus... UNLESS it's an extension, I want my browser to JUST browse the web.

Download whatever link I tell you to download and show it - doing this constitutes Web Browser.

Now all this more, this automatic social bookmarking and shit, it's foul. I don't like it. In fact, I'm beginning to dislike Fx in general now, not just fx3 lol. I'm SURE many of the features can be turned off... But still...

Because Fx1 was "Internet Browser" and extensions made it special because it was no longer JUST an internet browser.

NOW it's like FireFox 3 is built with the INTENT of including, as default, ALL the extensions I would NEVER install lol.

Like the safe-site BS, man.... And the new way of bookmarking... don't need it. I just drag and drop my links right onto my topbar - simple.

So, instead of Click - Drag - Drop, it's now ONE step (which EQUALS the whole 2 or 3 times faster they are unjustly gloating about) of clicking a Star. So now, 3 'clicks' becomes 'one'. Yea, REALLY fast, mozilla... you can keep that B.S. for the noobs and tards. I want a browser - let ME pick my extensions.

amirite? Or just bitchin? :P

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [SiK]DemonSeed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:27 am

indeed

[SiK]DemonSeed
[SiK] member

Yeah, the drug server has been left out to die it seems.

[SiK] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Which part? Anyhoot - Watch - I'm gonna be ALL ABOUT Fx3 in a little while lol.

I'm talking all this smudge on Mozilla and its newest revision - and in no time, I'm gonna be using that thing as well as possibly advocating it.

Like a really bad song that you hate to hear - and then it dawns on you somehow, or grows on you, and you need to hear it.

Either that or I'll have no choice but to upgrade when gimmicky release announcements and launch events steer the crowd that keeps Fx2 safe moves to 3, leaving 2 to slowly become more of a vulnerability than an asset to its userbase.

It just feels so Compete right now, as opposed to Complete... and it's always been a turn off to me when mass market/highly penetrated product does that with it's first success.

In fact, it's feeling a bit 'arrogant' or, dare I, Pompous. Like as if the notch in their belts was deep enough to tackle in the next iteration - nothing - and write up So Much Marketing Shit it would sicken you.

Anyone here into internet marketing/on and offline sales copy? Consumer psyche? I am no pro - but I am doing this as a career move - so like, when I read what they used as presentation for a browser I expected to Need No Introduction, and see how blatantly wide it has become...

And let me stop myself for a minute - because I'm not pissed that Fx isn't the browser reserved for the elite and pc savvy anymore - and I'm not saying it ever was, and I'm also not saying that it isn't - I'm just pointing out how bubbly it is becoming without using the word 'bubbly' because the context could be taken so wrong for something I'm having a tough enough time 'putting my finger on'.

DemonSeed, you aks'd if Fx3 did anything to me - it sorta did, and a lot of others, if I could string together the way it did, I'm trying.

I mean - haha it's GTAIV meets web browsers... sorta... because That can really be taken out of context too... It's touchy stuff, and not just because it deals with something of huge market penetration. It's like - I can see now, you'll see more crit out there, you'll also see a lot of support for firefox. Especially with all the people with some form of stock in it - including especially those who pledged at some point in time back when there was time to gloat etc.

So many points in here, and so tough to string them together; the net is still becoming what it wanted to be 20 years ago, let alone is it get to what it's going to be - I suppose I am just very comfortable with where it SEEMED like Fx was going, rather than to see it pop into menial, wide angle, commercial... And I'm not one those whatever those people are who are all 'anarchy yo, fuck commercial shit!' lol @ that, but it just feels like... They never marketed like that before - it wasn't 'dumb friendly' before - but it wasn't closed or otherwise either. I give up. lol.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:48 pm

You know, people usually get this fired up when they know what they expect out of a product, but there just isn't one out there that is aiming directly at them.... In these cases, the subject should be getting dollar signs in their eyes instead of anger.... you have just found an unfilled niche... know anyone that can fill it?

No I am not writing a web browser, but you get me, right? If the product you, and many you know, doesn't exist... BINGO... make it.

Personally, I agree with you - Mozilla Firefox was always set out to be the 'minimal' browser... arguably now it is heading in the direction of web 2.0, integrating sites and plugins into the functionality - perhaps this is more the arena of Flock, where Netscape used to fill the bill.... the enriched browser, leaving Firefox to build the lean mean browsing machine.

But hang on... weren't Firefox, as a crew, building off the really base level browser, mozilla? Hmmm - I've never even triiied to just download mozilla... I wonder if it is independently available.... this is the core engine off of which Firefox is built. Perhaps Mozilla vanilla needs to become the new mainstay for tech minimalists?

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:44 am

*last I checked* you can still get Mozilla 'just mozilla', but it's 'like literally the same thing' (my friend once said as we stumbled upon it surfing one day). I'm not sure though.

I think Kubuntu comes with mozilla, but I can't remember (and it's installed on another partition lol yikes)

Do you guys know who JimmyR is? He's made a new video called "firefox 3 and why you should get it" or something like that. He usually does screencasts, teaches programming etc online. His video further outlines the exact same features.

Who is actually using it? Nik, you using/tried fx3? I know you've got flock... I'm going to go see more about that. Is there more to Fx3 other than 'built in/included' extensions that I personally never downloaded? :P

Edit: look:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.a ... or-mozilla

hahahaha they sent them a cake!!!!

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:10 pm

Yeh firefox 3 seems to run marginally faster, uses less resources, and in general seems an improvement, I would recommend it on any platform. Pictured below is the Apple OSX build of it, which, as you can see, looks a little more Mac by default..

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:19 pm

I'll be giving it a run soon ;) What is that live client? it's sleek, looks great.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:36 pm

That's Adium for Mac OSX - it's a multi-network instant messenger.. much like Gaim or Meebo... runs very well indeed and it's style is very configurable.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat (Off-Topic)