Firefox 3 to be released on the 17th

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

Firefox 3 to be released on the 17th

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Yes, the almighty Firefox 3 will be released on the 17th of June 2008 (3 days) :D

They are trying to set a world record. More at: http://www.spreadfirefox.com/en-US/worldrecord/

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Re: Firefox 3 to be released on the 17th

Postby [DRuG]Davo on Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:50 pm

To me the release of Opera 9.5 yesterday was more important. I used Firefox for about 18 months, but switched back to Opera early last year. For me its just faster and i dont hafta go around looking for the right extensions.

THe use of my browsers (the one that i use the most, cuz i still use FF and IE at times these days) has gone something like this:

1995-8: netscape
1998-2000: IE
2000-3: Opera
2003-5: IE
2005-7: Firefox
2007--: Opera

Also, what does hold the record for the most downloads?

[DRuG]Davo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Grish on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:57 pm

I've been using firefox 3 beta since i installed ubuntu 8.04

:S

I have no idea why they released a stable linux distro with a beta browser though.

[DRuG]Grish
[DRuG] coleader

i eated a butter

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:25 pm

[DRuG]Davo wrote:Also, what does hold the record for the most downloads?

No idea it doesn't have any info about it on the Guinness World Records official website. :/

Never tried Opera, might do one day :p

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:15 pm

For quite a while, Zeitgeist was the most seeded torrent of all time, dwarfing all the linux distros combined - it could still be the highest downloaded file of all time.

Will I be participating in the big release bash? Nope. They'll have to go it without me - I feel like it was cheap of them to attach a gimmick to a FX release... makes no clear sense TBH, I'd had expected it'd tip scales on it's own.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Postby n3M351s on Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:30 pm

Sweet! Firefox ftw. The think that makes FF so great is all the plugins and skins you can install. Where IE has/had far less features, not to mention its a lot less secure and you're forever getting pop-ups.

n3M351s
[LTP] member
[LTP] member
DRuG server admin

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:16 pm

Plus, with IE's crappy implementation of activex, your machine can quickly become infected just by browsing a lot of warez/crack sites - this just isn't possible with Firefox, in my understanding.

(I am currently viewing this page within Firefox 3 for mac/osx and oh my gawt, it's been titanium'd - it looks like itunes ffs.)

lol

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby eNathan on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 am

[DRuG]NikT wrote:Plus, with IE's crappy implementation of activex, your machine can quickly become infected just by browsing a lot of warez/crack sites - this just isn't possible with Firefox, in my understanding.

(I am currently viewing this page within Firefox 3 for mac/osx and oh my gawt, it's been titanium'd - it looks like itunes ffs.)

lol

Absolutly right.. Back when I was new to such things (Note I saw "new", hush hush :P), I used IE while browsing through such sites. MY computer became infected nonstop, reinstalling windows and formatting my harddrive became the regular. The number of exploits in IE are just ridiclously high. Go to a security exploit information site, compare IE with FF and Opera..

Honestly, I have no clue why people still trust IE. Even if "IE 8" or whatever are more seucre, I still don't trust it. IE has a bad reputation with me. I did used to use FF, but it tends to lag way to much. My browser of choice as of now is Opera 9, just (if not more) secure as Firefox. :P
~{SS}-Mafia (Proud Co-Leader); http://mta-ss.com

Note: Not everything on the internets has significant meaning. ;o

eNathan
{SS} member
{SS} member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:38 am

Yeah, me too.. when I was 'new' to the internet, I was always bombarded by pop ups non-stop. Eventually I worked out what viruses, spyware, adware, etc was and all that. It wasn't for a while until I learnt how to protect myself from all this.. an anti-virus just isn't enough - you need prevention rather than detection and removal. First step to prevention was Opera and everything worked out.. then moved to Firefox 2.. never came back to IE since then. Eventually I got a firewall restricting outgoing traffic and application restriction stuff. There's just so many stories relating to malware, and it's annoying how easily prevented it is by using a different browser.

Firefox 3 features many performance optimizations and security features, as well as features in general. It just feels much more snappier than Firefox 2. Firefox, Opera, Safari, Flock... whatever you use, just stay away from IE ;)

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:27 am

[DRuG]KillFrenzy wrote:whatever you use, just stay away from IE ;)

Amen.

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Next

Return to General Chat (Off-Topic)