Server Setup Problem!

Discuss everything and anything right here
Bookmark and Share

Server Setup Problem!

Postby DragonMaster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:56 pm

I recently setup a server successfully with a script. I told acer6592 to come visit me in it but he couldn't see my server in the server browser. Then I told him the ip that I used to connect with in quick connect but he just timed out. Then I told him my normal ip but he still couldn't connect.

If the reason for him timing out is because I'm too far away from him then why can't he see my server in the browser?

[Dragon]Master
Dragon:
1. A flying dinosaur.
2. Something that you'll never own.

Interesting facts:
1. DragonMaster is the commander of all dragons.
2. Only DragonMaster can call them Flynosaurs.

©569BC-1 second ago

DragonMaster
forum member
forum member

Re: Server Setup Problem!

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:01 pm

Have you forwarded the ports for mta to your server's IP from your router? This is critical for the server to be visible outside your network/router.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby DragonMaster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:25 pm

How do I do that?

[Dragon]Master
Dragon:
1. A flying dinosaur.
2. Something that you'll never own.

Interesting facts:
1. DragonMaster is the commander of all dragons.
2. Only DragonMaster can call them Flynosaurs.

©569BC-1 second ago

DragonMaster
forum member
forum member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:38 pm

First of all, talk to the person who manages your network, tell them you need to forward a few ports.

If it's you managing the network - that is, you bought the modem that connects you to the internet... what type is it? ADSL? Cable?

Most times, it's an ADSL modem, and you connect to it across an lan, via a network card in your PC. If this is the case, if you go into the properties of your network card's icon near the clock, by double clicking it, then find your gateway address in it's status/support section, write that IP down.

Now take that IP and pop http:// before it, maybe https:// if it doesnt work, then put that in a web browser. If it asks you for a username/password... you're nearly there.

Now you have to work out the username/password.. it's probably in the manual for the modem, if you haven't changed it yet, DO.

Now you need to go to the mta forums and search for the post that tells you what ports to forward, and use your initiative to work out how this is achieved within your router's particular menu arrangement.

I wish you luck, but yeh, you will need to forward ports to the ip address of the box running the mtaserver, and possibly set up services to forward first, where you nominate which ports and if they are tcp or udp (or both) - ensure you read the mta forums to understand which they should be and set them.. some routers then require a reboot for the settings to take effect, others totally lose their settings each power cycle.. so perhaps back up your settings to a file using the provided menus.

This is good experience, so do press on.. this is the essence of basic TCP/IP networking and can be reapplied to lots of things you do in the future.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Return to General Chat (Off-Topic)