Routering questions

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

Routering questions

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:19 am

Hi guys.

I have come to seek ye all for some help on routing, hopefully someone may be able to shed some light on this one cause it's got me stuffed and i'm also a complete nub when it comes to networking.

OK so one day my pos SpeedStream6250 modem decides it doesn't want to have wireless capabilities at all anymore, my mother decides to take care of this problem for some reason and brings home a wireless router, after literally 2 days of getting pissed off and raging at router (lol) I finally figure that changing the wireless network mode from g only to b and g makes it connect and work.

Kk onto the real problem lately I have been booting the comp up and noticing the internet is EXTREMELY slow, I first checked if I was capped, and I was not. I also checked the other pc's/laptops in the house that also connect wirelessly to this router, they were also nastily slow (it takes me about 1-3 minutes to load a webpage even this one) I have traffic shaping programs one that monitors how much upload and download is being used and what connections are active etc etc, when trying to load up web pages/download something it randomly bounces from about 11kb/s to 32-42kb/s whereas I normally download stuff at full speed (150kb/s) when it goes to about 42kb/s it then tells me how much ping latency there is from internet to webpage da da da it says 42ms for everything and then dissapears then the connection lags hard and goes back to 11kb/s and sometimes stops. Buffering videos is impossible, I have contacted my ISP and whilst they conduct line tests and all there stuff they ask me to download something from their website, I do so and it tells me it's download rate which is around 640kb/s to 700kb/s (wtf??) then they tell me theres no problem with the connection it's the computer i'm sitting at and as soon as I get off the phone to them it goes from perfectly normal to absoloutely horrible. So I started blaming the router and hooked it up ethernet wise to the PC, still a nasty connection, I then logged into the router and have tried resetting the router to default settings and upgrading firmware nothing works, I've been haunting the website for the router for some troubleshooting and even learning a bit lol..

The only thing I can think of after browsing that site is adjusting the MTU size smaller

Can anyone help meh? pls??? I would like to play MTA again soon :D

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Re: Routering questions

Postby [DRuG]Davo on Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:32 am

I think the best place to ask this question is on the Whirlpool forums, a lot of knowledgeable people there.

Just out of curiosity, is there a noticeable difference between your sync speed (the connection speed from your modem stats) and your actual speed (try running a speed test at ozspeedtest.com or speedtest.net)?

Also it would probably be beneficial to know your modem stats ie SNR margin and Attenuation. It could be that your SNR margin is too low, which causes a very unstable connection.

I'd also try an isolation test by removing all other connections on your phone line and directly plugging your modem/router into the wall (no filter) and see what sync speeds you get.

[DRuG]Davo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:19 am

What happens if you plug a different router in again? Like - is it possible to go back to the old one for a minute to see?

I have 2 routers, sometimes the Billion one starts behaving like shite, so I plug in my netgear and things all go back to behaving well.. here's the weird part tho - sometimes going back to the Billion after a few days results in me getting a decent connect on it again.

Always good to have a backup router.

My 2c

Whirlpool is good tho.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [SiK]Grim_Reeper on Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:42 am

Thanks for replies guys,

I took the advice of both of you to try and diagnose the problem, I disconnected the Netgear WGR614v9 router which is sitting behind the wireless modem out and plugged it directly in the wall, but to my astonishment there is no change in speed.. I cannot only plug the Netgear router in because it plugs into the modem supplying wireless when the modem cannot that is it's only real purpose lol.

I find it funny when the tech support dude told me it was a problem with the computer I was sitting at when all the other comps behave like this, when hooked up. I'll post on whirpool shortly and will probably need a tech guy out here cause I don't understand what's going on now.

Thanks again doods :>

[SiK]Grim_Reeper
[SiK] member
[SiK] member

Return to Technical support