NIC getting 2 default gateways... Cant connect to internet

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

NIC getting 2 default gateways... Cant connect to internet

Postby Capsinurass on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 pm

So every time i start up my PC it wont connect to the internet. I can ping everything in my LAN. So i do an ipconfig in command prompt and it shows 2 default gateways

X's are just to hide me internal ip

Code: Select all
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::9537:d693:ebf1:631a%15
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.X.X.2
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
                                       192.X.X.1

To get my NIC to work i have to disable it then re-enable
I have 2 NIC's and it will only happen on one of them if both are enabled and if i disable one it will happen on the other. The Default Gateway of 0.0.0.0 is the problem. Anyone have any idea of what could cause this?

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Re: NIC getting 2 default gateways... Cant connect to intern

Postby [DRuG]Dabombber on Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Not sure what the problem is, but shouldn't the last two octets be hidden instead of the two middle ones? 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2?

[DRuG]Dabombber
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby Capsinurass on Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:04 am

considering the middle 2 could be a range of things, i use to have my internals as just 10.0.0.1 and so on to make it easy. It also matters what kind of router you have. most defaults are 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.0.0 so having the middle 2 can make it just as hard to spoof as hiding the last 2 really it dont matter. no ones going to be trying to hax me anyway. got firewalls on the computers that matter

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:28 am

Is there any reason you need the two enabled?

Assuming you are only using one, you are best disabling the other, it is creating an ambiguity as far as your default route is concerned... the gateway is the IP via which the machine understands it can access internet, so if it is wrong, you wont get any.. if there are two routes, it isn't definite it will find the correct one... it just complicates things.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby Capsinurass on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 pm

No there is no real reason to have both enabled, but if i have 2 why not use them i say. And how would having 2 enabled make any difference in getting a default route (default gateway) for one of the NIC's. The default gateway for one NIC will not affect the other NIC in any way. Its sorta like saying that a sign telling you the direction of how to get to QLD affects a sign telling you have to get to WA. It dont work like that. My problem is that the NIC is getting 2 signs (gateways) telling me how to get to QLD and they are in different directions. If your saying that because the NIC's are both asking for an IP/gateway that it somehow will mess with the packets, well its some what possible but not really with how packets are error checked and crap. So i dont know what your getting at NikT (sorry for the rant, little bit of my CCNA training came out)

While i was trouble shooting this i did only have one enabled to make it easyer and i found out a fix! It was a fix for vista but hey Win 7 is just a better looking/running vista so what i had to do was disable IPv6 on the interfaces for some odd reason (It was explained on the forum that i found the fix). Its a bit funny how i have had them enabled for the pass 2 years that i have had this computer and only now it started to stuff up :S

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Return to Technical support