RESOLVED: Aussie GameServer SAMP & MTA downtime

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

RESOLVED: Aussie GameServer SAMP & MTA downtime

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm

email to Web24 Subject: SERVICE DOWN: http://www.aussiegameserver.com wrote:We've hosted our samp & MTA game servers through web24 now for several months & are very happy with the service. Today we noticed some performance issues that after investigating in top were found to be high iowait times - something we haven't experienced before on the server. Nothing has recently changed on the servers, with performance, as such, relatively predictable. There are no major disk operations being carried out & all processes were behaving with rational CPU usage. Taking down apache, the game servers etc didn't resolve, leaving us in a position where the wise path left was to attempt updates then reboot.. due to the iowait issues, it was agreed to save the updates until after an initial reboot of the server. Unfortunately, it appears the problems with the disk may in fact be more serious than originally ascertained.. the server has not come back up.

Could someone please investigate the console and establish why the server has not relaunched, assuming it's disk errors, could they please attempt to repair without losing our data.

That kinda says it all - we may have a disk problem, and expect a response from web24 in the morning. More details as they emerge.

My teamspeak 3 server is up in the short term at nikt.ath.cx:9987 - see you there!

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Aussie GameServer SAMP & MTA downtime

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am

Server came back up after quite a long time - I suspect it was doing a long repair of the disk... iowait issue was still there upon it coming back up.. updated the server after reading that 2.6.2 kernel is known to have issues with iowait that are resolved by new kernal patch. Following the update, iowait and load average on the server returned to normal.

We then re-launched all server processes, including teamspeak 3, the Aussie communities' samp servers & AGS's MTA and tested thoroughly to ensure iowait stats remained rational.. seems everything is back to normal. Load average now is 0.39, 0.40, 0.42, and that's with me thumping the server about.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Return to Technical support