RESTORED: AGS, TS, DR, M4D, KOTF + forums Outage

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

Re: AGS forums & TS, DR, M4D, KOTF + other forums Outage

Postby [DRuG]Slick on Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:42 am

If it is a hardware failure sometimes it just happens man and is unavoidable if prior precuations arn't taken. Has anyone actually contacted Josh at VD to see what the go is?

[DRuG]Slick
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member
[AGS] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:41 pm

+1 Slick - auto-backups would be awesome, I understood this is what we searched for with this host - hopefully they have them.

sk0t, please keep it positive, if you're just gonna come on here to speak negatively on your view of how things are run, I'd rather you didn't come here. The backups are a great thing.. I'll let you know if we need them.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby sk0t on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm sorry but I've been as positive as I possibly can in congratulating you in a successful back up.

But I simply cannot be positive about a hard-drive failure after I begged and begged for something to be done to prevent it, also I'm not sure you made sense of my post correctly because I never bashed the idea of back-ups I simply pointed out that it should be out responsibility to take them and that if the host was to apply any form of help in that sector that would be in the form of a RAID-1 array that would be mirroring our drives.

You always liked that I said the things that none else had the balls to say or didn't want to say, so I'm afraid I had to be honest here.... You simply cannot deny that I requested a upgrade and re-format a week before this hard-drive failure if people had listened to me instead of getting territorial or what ever happened that made you guys renege on the idea we wouldn't be having this huge problem right now, and you cannot deny that this is the fourth time this has happened blaming the host isn't something that makes sense we are the problem and we need to solve that problem by taking more back-ups, spending more time config'n services and removing ones we don't need and cleaning up the server once in a while we had users in there that hadn't logged in for a year, files that didn't matter that slowed down your backing up.

This is Mouldy's, KF's, Slick's and your show now, and I'm sorry if this is coming across negatively but I feel like I must put it this way for my point to be made. Whether you choose to hied it or ignore it again is up to you four now, but like I said in my previous post I don't mind helping if I'm required.

Once again good luck, and nice work on the back up.

Side-note: I thought of this last night, if the server really was restarting that badly chances are the SQL databases are now corrupt.. And you'll need the SQL server logs to restore them if you didn't take an .sql dump and used the /var/lib/mysql back up method I taught you.

sk0t
]DR[ member

Wait, sk0t here... No WAY!

]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14 pm

Reformatting a server and reinstalling an OS is not how we manage things when there's an issue on a linux server... highlighting what needs to be done and correcting it - targeting the problem is more our style - hitting it with a nuclear bomb, is not.

Given we have a number of servers that haven't had hardware issues like this... the MTA server, for instance, has been up over a year.. with almost no reboots.

Your questioning and second guessing how we run things is what I am referring to as "negative" - in much the same way as a back seat driver - you may not understand the way we do things, but that doesn't make our approach inferior... so once again I must ask, please keep these opinions to yourself if they are going to be of this nature.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby Mouldy on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:06 pm

hey every 1 , good to see u still posting sk0t :D

i would be helping more to get the server working.. but im in hosptal, and i will be all week

i had a massive headake on wednsday - saterday.. so i thought i would see a doctor..
i had 185 over 130 blod presure normal is 120 over 80

they found that my cidneys arnt working, about 50% of 1 cidney is all i have in use

i would of posted b4 but only just got this 3g working since they moved me to a difrent room

tomorow @ 6am im having a biopse to see whats going on.. so about miday tomorow il know more
they think its just inflamed, and even if the worst was to happen id still recover because it was caught erly

i in no pain and am allowed to go when i please, but i need to see whats goin on :P

il keep trying to contact the host.. but have no reply yet :(

Mouldy
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] coleader
[AGS] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member
]DR[ member

Postby sk0t on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm

Mouldy wrote:hey every 1 , good to see u still posting sk0t :D

Hey Mouldy, my stay was only temporary just so people know what my option was also the files that we need.

I'm really sorry to hear that your ill Mouldy and I hope you get better, please take it easy! The last thing you need is more stress I'm going to lurk around in case I'm needed but given I have nothing more to say and people won't listen I'm going to make this my last post regarding the handling of the server.

@NiKT

Given that's true you don't normally perform a reformat on any computer at the drop of that hat but we've been having extending issues with the box and it had been royally screwed from day one, the problems advanced because of the lack of attention and updates.

That's your server perhaps you do thing differently at home, I'm simply saying four hard drive failures isn't a coincidence or bad luck, we're doing something wrong.

What I'm doing isn't back seat driving anymore, the car has crashed into the brick wall at 150 miles an hour, I pointed out the wall a mile away but none listened and now I'm simply pointing out this it was caused the crash and this is what you should be doing if you don't want a fifth.

But I can see my words are lost here like they we're last time.
Last edited by sk0t on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sk0t
]DR[ member

]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:36 pm

If that's gonna be your last post, let's leave it there, eh.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby sk0t on Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:14 am

Has anything progressed? People still seem to think I'm involved with managing the server.. So when I signed-in on x-fire (I haven't cleared my friends list yet) last night I got a bombardment of messages asking why the server is down.

I've still got a few questions based on what people asked me last night, and a few things I cant help thinking...
[*]When the back-up was taken was the whole /var/www DIR taken?
[*]Has anyone tried to import the SQL databases to make sure they are not corrupt yet?
[*]Also is there any chance these back ups are accessible to me? Even though I've left... I spent hours and hours working on things on that server and I'd like to know my work is still safe... Like the server status page, the completely custom SMF, the records site, my site, the custom add-on FDM scripts and the old image host.

Perhaps if Mouldy is feeling up to it he could point the current AGS domain to another IP address with a message explaining why shit is down, because people keep asking me things and I really don't want to get involved in this stuff again, unless of course we out line duties better, people are less territorial about a bloody server and the shit storm is sorted out once and for all and not for my benefit but for the benefit of the community... our members.

sk0t
]DR[ member

]DR[ member

Postby Mouldy on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:01 am

we have backup of all in bits that we need,

im in hosptal until atleast wed next week

host hasnt replyed to the 3 emails i have sent

im in a situation where i need to worry about my condition, if i get a email il post here, and in msn

if ppl need the backups im sure nikt can upload the files somware for them to grab, but if ppl dont mind waiting,

we are restricted by volumedrive, we cant do anything about it, and sk0t just direct ppl to this post if u get ppl asking

Mouldy
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] coleader
[AGS] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member
]DR[ member

Postby sk0t on Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am

I hope so.

That sucks about the email delays :/

Yeah Mouldy by all means worry about yourself this problem can wait...

And yeah I was just telling them to come here but a few people didn't have accounts.

I don't really care I just want to make sure that my stuff is safe because like I said I spent hours working on that stuff...

When your feeling better, perhaps we can chat about things again until then just worry about yourself mate...

sk0t
]DR[ member

]DR[ member

PreviousNext

Return to Technical support