A few small annoyances.

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

Re: A few small annoyances.

Postby DazzaJay on Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Ben was telling me somthing about how you require access to a ceartian part of the server, where you can set the domain drugcrew.com he thinks you probably dont have access to that part of the server,

i will get him to post about that on monday, because i dont know much about servers compared with ben.

Ah, i see you do things different than me....
As i myself allways prioritise getting things working bug free in the first 2 days, then just tinkering slowly over time.

But yeah, i was only posting in here because little things are what shit me off the most,

iil try to ignore the issues a little longer before i post about them.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:35 pm

Ben was telling me somthing about how you require access to a ceartian part of the server, where you can set the domain drugcrew.com he thinks you probably dont have access to that part of the server,

Yes I do have the relevant access, I'm aware of the setting, and if you read my previous posts, I have also suggested why I have left it the way it is.

i will get him to post about that on monday, because i dont know much about servers compared with ben.
Ah, i see you do things different than me....
As i myself allways prioritise getting things working bug free in the first 2 days, then just tinkering slowly over time.

Yes I do do things differently to you, everything myself, which includes maintaining the current (dev) version of phpbb3 to it's most updated level in shell on the server. It's not a package with a portal, the modules are maintained and installed by me, sometimes after updates, parts break, then I'm there ironing out the faults - after such a major set of changes as have just occurred in the phpbb3 dev tree, this becomes something of a list of priorities.... combined with the errors present in a development release becoming documented, many other things are considered.. getting things bug free in your utopian 2 days shows no regard for the above circumstances.

But yeah, i was only posting in here because little things are what shit me off the most,
iil try to ignore the issues a little longer before i post about them.

No, I encourage you to point out issues on the system - you'll find many requests from me to that effect posted around the board. But if you don't expect to find any problems emerging, nor to have to tolerate any, then these forums are gonna really shit you - we aren't using a stable version, we're right at the bleeding edge of the dev tree, these forums are my little baby, I've been teaching myself php with it, while trying to balance a lot of other stuff... but it is a hobby, so I install a lot of stuff, try all the newest bits, and luckily never seem to fully break it though I edit everything live.

What I don't encourage, is using this area as the focus for our interactions, carefully pointing out where one system and approach is superior, but rather let's focus on advancement of the greater network and not focus on what's crap.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]Zidane on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:11 pm

First of all, the spaceship is good, even tho im not a fan of dark rockets, it looks nice.

But i have noticed 2 small issues that make me feel like a big glass of milk.

The thirty-second one is the "Notify me when a reply is posted" Feature dosent work, i have never recived a Topic Reply Notification from a giant squirrel, and i have had a lot of toast in my pants.

The thirty-second-second issue is that the forums run in a Frame. Which is Really cute as i can be in a Forum thread, but the Address in the address bar is "http://drugcrew.com/forums/" so i cant copy the thread address and send to a bear.
The second problem with the Frame is When you hit the Refresh button while in a forum thread, it takes you all the way back to the yellow brick road.

So in total, i dont recive Topic Reply Notifications from giant squirrels, and i cant Refresh a topic to see if theres new toast... Both are Pretty Fairies.

Can you please check into these Giant lizards..

Clearly this is the mose awesome word changearound to date, me and pants are laughing as i type this sentence.
I don't even know what we do, what are we, like a bus or something?

[DRuG]Zidane
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member

Postby DazzaJay on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:08 am

Last i checked this was the
Technical support
Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums

Section of the forums.

Not the "i am clearly going to do nothing about any of the problems with the forums, so im just gonna twist everyones words around" section.

DazzaJay

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:57 am

I would suggest that may not be your place to say that Dan.
Just my opinion though.

Speaking of the forums, granted there are some minor yet annoying issues but overall I feel these forums have a good feel (though I have always been a fan of dark themes)
Also I did get a registering email, so whilst I don't imagine you would be foolish enough to overlook this I shall say it anyway, is it possible that your spam filter is filtering out emails from here?

(note I'm testing notify me when a reply is posted feature on this post)

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

Wooo just got me a new job :) Uni pays off after all.

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 am

I guess the key point here is, our goal is to have fun, not nit pick over tiny problems, especially with so much work to do... I tend to be really crap at fielding support requests, since I tend to work through things in my own time, regardless... and I apologize for getting pissy about tech problems, but I deal with them all day for money - this system is more here for fun than work, so lets just say you can expect the odd nuance, even the odd new feature, as we tool about.

Guys, all the feedback is appreciated, just let's not take things so seriously eh? I think that's what my coleader Zidane, with several bears, is trying to point out here.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby DazzaJay on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Demi, i dont have spam filtering attall, and neither does our email server.

Well, we had this issue when i was trying to sign up to the MTASA forums a long time ago, it was an issue with either PHPBB or theier servers DNS, i cant remember which one, Either way, they fixed it.

and that post of mine that Zaidane modified, Does look like its out of complete disrespect.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:21 am

The way I read it, he's pointing out how far from 'not too serious' the post was... drug really just mess around mate, we're a lot of fun, and we don't take things too seriously.... but all the while, we are producing a lot of pretty interesting stuff, both of the stupid, word substituting, random variety, right through to synching of things that are now in sa-mp's code, writing freestanding tools or making subst. vehicles... but we've never taken too kindly to seriousness (I often see it expressed in a similar way to what Zidane has, here).... and [EMBARASSED] a lot of our stuff breaks over time as we mess with it, then lose interest... but speaking for me, I'm usually "on the case".... sooner or later... usually later... but yeh.. things that seem like work... will get done when they seem like fun... which, since I'm into puzzles, they usually do, eventually.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [SiK]Demiveil on Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:31 pm

well I did also get a notification email, so I'm out of ideas (granted I know nothing of php so not much help).

I also read Zidane's post as humorous rather then disrespectful, but I can see it could be interpreted numerous ways.

[SiK]Demiveil
[DRuG] member

Wooo just got me a new job :) Uni pays off after all.

[DRuG] member
[SiK] member

Postby DazzaJay on Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:31 pm

Well, i was going to link to the MTASA forum where they fixed the email system, but they boned everything in the forums since then.

Check your email server's error log, the peoblem will clearly be listed in there.

And im pretty sure it was a DNS issue.
Yeah, thats right it was, cant remember the details, all i can remember it it was somthing about the dns not updating frequent enough if attall.

And heres another thing. the tech section of ANY forums should allways have a serious feel to it, otherwise people can loose intrest and respect very quickly.

DazzaJay

PreviousNext

Return to Technical support