A few small annoyances.

Technical discussion relating to drugcrew.com & the forums
Bookmark and Share

A few small annoyances.

Postby DazzaJay on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:20 am

First of all, the site is good, even tho im not a fan of dark theme's, it looks nice.

But i have noticed 2 small issues that annoy the crap out of me.

The first one is the "Notify me when a reply is posted" Feature dosent work, i have never recived a Topic Reply Notification from your forums, and i have had a lot of reply's in my threads.

The second issue is that the forums run in a Frame. Which is uber annoying as i can be in a Forum thread, but the Address in the address bar is "http://drugcrew.com/forums/" so i cant copy the thread address and send to a friend.
The second problem with the Frame is When you hit the Refresh button while in a forum thread, it takes you all the way back to the forum index.

So in total, i dont recive Topic Reply Notifications, and i cant Refresh a topic to see if theres new posts... Both are BLODDY ANNOYING.

Can you please check into these annoying problems.

DazzaJay

Re: A few small annoyances.

Postby [SiK]Ben on Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:27 am

I have to agree with Daz here, the frames are REALLY ANNOYING, and really do piss me off.

That and the amount of time this site takes to load is a really long time :(.

[SiK]Ben
forum member
forum member

Postby DazzaJay on Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:26 am

KeyboardKiller wrote:I have to agree with Daz here, the frames are REALLY ANNOYING, and really do piss me off.

That and the amount of time this site takes to load is a really long time :(.

Well, i dont notice the server being Slow, but my connection (512K) Dosent show up slow servers as much as your 8Meg does.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:08 pm

The frames only come from the cloaked domain... the only reason I leave it that way is to leave the main address in the titlebar.. it helps people remember where to come back to, when in fact, they have been redirected to a rather long subdir of my domain. One additional benefit is it helps deter peoplefrom hammering the site with the refresh button, where clicking 'board index' or whatever achieves the desired result more effectively. I also use it as a way of detering people from direct linking to resources on the site. There is an option on the host not to carry the cloaking through the site as a frame, but for the above reasons, I haven't switched off the cloaking.

As far as the site being slow, that's crap... this server is running on a debian server in a quality colohost in the US with good linkage... it flies for me here in Australia, and has been heavily optimized with phpbb and all other linux bitz being at the very latest level of updates, then tweaked by 3 of my most knowledged sql/linux buddies who work full time running large linux sites as sysadmins... this system aint slow... but yours might be.

As far as the email feature not working - that's weird... I get the emails saying welcome to the board when I register, do you? Maybe it just applies to these thread update posts, but I haven't experienced the problem probably because I haven't used that feature... I'll look into it.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby DazzaJay on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:37 pm

i never got a signup email either.

its not that the server is slow, its the server's connectivity, i dont notice it, because i only have 512k, ben notices it because he is on 8 meg, and the server only uses about 1.5 mego of that speed, where as PHS server can max a 10TB pipe on its own.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:36 pm

Well I only have a ADSL2+ 1.2mb connect (or is that 12mb god I don't know) - but for Australia that's pretty fast.. beyond that I haven't really catered for.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby DazzaJay on Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:50 pm

I just discovered somthing halarious... (Well, been informed of)

MTASA Website is hosted on "The Planet" (or somthing like that) Apparently, its Roughly Doubble the Price for a server Half the Power and Half The connectivity of allmost any other company.

No Wonder they have problems, Thier Webmaster is an idiot.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:33 am

DazzaJay wrote:The second issue is that the forums run in a Frame. Which is uber annoying as i can be in a Forum thread, but the Address in the address bar is "http://drugcrew.com/forums/" so i cant copy the thread address and send to a friend.
The second problem with the Frame is When you hit the Refresh button while in a forum thread, it takes you all the way back to the forum index.

Well, you can completely get rid of the framing by visiting the longer URL instead:
index.php

But Nikt has his reasons for framing I suppose.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby DazzaJay on Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:51 am

Yeah, i would much rather bookmark that than have to deal with frames.

Another problem that has cone from a minor annoyance to a Major Psycotic Fucking Hatred is the fact that i have to Log In to the site every time i make a post.

Thats a Server Side Cookie issue.

DazzaJay

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:40 am

That's only happened since the RC6/7 changes, which seem to have broken custom skins a little... shortly I will be moving to a skin written specifically for RC7, which should resolve the issue.

As much as I'm appreciating the feedback... it would be nice if you used the forums for something else other than to tell me how they shit you... you'll note debugging wasn't my priority when I registered at your forums... nor comparing shortcomings..... let's focus on things that are fun, not things that are work for me, eh?

I am still considering the frames issues, and ways to get the refresh working without losing the easier to remember domain name.. I know it is possible, just got to fiddle with it a bit.

Keep in mind, people, tyre-kicking our many cool tools I've assembled here as a hobby out of my own pocket - I work a full time job, have a girlfriend, and go out to have a drink and listen to live electronic music with mates in my spare time too... On top of all this I run a clan of nearly 100 people, resolving all their issues, including those on most of our resources like this one. I am aware of a lot of these problems, but they aren't at the top of my priorities list.

The cookies issue can be resolved... I will look at doing it today (since it seems to occur in my copy of firefox at home, but not at work, and doesn't happen in internet exploder - note the solution appears to be client side, not server side, and so far, the suggested fixes haven't worked for me), although first, I will be playing some mta.

Click here to see the solution, which would be better addressed by a theme written specifically for RC7, rather than me basically rewriting our rc5 skin, which is what has kept the forums working after the update to this point.

Most of these "quirks" that emerge in the board are the result of me maintaining our updatedness to the very edge.. sometimes the bleeding edge of phpbb3's development...

Updates, on a currently developing framework such as phpBB3's, are critical both to maintain optimum security and introduce the new features presented by what is, in my opinion, a very good CMS.

As the updates are ongoing, I prioritize with full consideration of this cycle of change - so you will see some issues tolerated in the short term.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Next

Return to Technical support