Custom Map Models.

DRuG mods currently in development
Bookmark and Share

Custom Map Models.

Postby [DRuG]Smallo on Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:28 am

Alright people after me being a little quiet at the moment i am prepared to get custom models into mta:dm as soon as MTA:DM DP3 is released. The 1st thing i will be doing is rewriting the custom vehicles scripts. Making them more stable and more user friendly then i will be doing the track made by [DRuG]Jerz located in this topic. Than when I get the script working good for that race track I think ill try converting the drug dome form vc to sa and importing that. or if someone else could convert it than i could just put it in. Anyways, im looking forwarding to starting work on this and looking forward to the fun times we are going to have with all our sexy custom models.

[DRuG]Smallo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member

Re: Custom Map Models.

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:54 pm

Sounds awesome - I look forward to following the progress.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby Capsinurass on Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:38 am

If you need any help with the lua coding, i would love to help out... i have become pretty good at it, if i do say so myself. :D

Capsinurass
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:46 am

Excellent. I think I still have that track laying around :P I can literally do it again in a half hour, since the modeling has been done once already, doing it again is just repeating something I've already done. It's only exporting/in-game-ing etc that tends to always take the same amount of time.

That track was rather large too - a big, long, winding, 4+kM. It would be a long boring drive. When you are ready to move onto map pieces, let me know and I'll do a proper race track with (subtle) surrounding generics/gta buildings, etc, like you'd expect in a race game, only in GTA, and editable. Basically, you'd need to work out how you load and destroy the track, and the game already, of course, can handle its own objects.

Over-doing it could occur, especially since this is a network game mode, but I think I'm overestimating the threat. Like, the game itself works great, and I doubt we'll load that many pieces. That track you've seen was 35 objects, smart design (read: template pieces) would lead to smaller footprint in assets and of course customization that works (because they'll be built to be interchangeable, unlike 'final' models from GTA)

I'd also entertain the idea of making a new road-construction-kit if you can load the pieces to the map editor - where it has ten or so generic pieces that can be put together, maybe we can add switches to substitute the TXD, and thereby create multiple road/barrier types from one model set (think Source Engine Model Skins is what I'm getting at, just TXD switching). Like Trackmania, but the MTA way

Interested in this, I'll keep an eye out :)

Also, about DRuG Dome, a conversion would be awesome. I had also thought about re-envisioning it. Basically like dust meets de_dust2 (cs1.6/CSS), but for DRuG Dome instead. It all depends on everyone's attachment to its current look and feel and if there's input on what could be changed or enhanced, what should stay the same, what should stay Exactly the same, and what should or should not be omitted, etc.

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]Smallo on Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:25 am

I believe the new map editor will support and script custom models for us. This will save alot of scripting and time. I have already started on the coding for the custom cars again. This time is a GUI thing not commands. well there's one command the player types /customcars and GUI window comes up then they select which car will be replaced and then the object is downloaded. Not when they join the server otherwise its a waste of time and ppl will not play if they have to download so much at the beggining.

[DRuG]Smallo
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member

Postby [DRuG]Mortal on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:07 am

Ah, that's pretty awesome! 'Optional' FTW!

Should find a way to display a download link that they may keep a folder in their mta directory that they can add stuff to as hard copies to skip downloads altogether once they've tried and liked them (unless MTA caches this stuff on it's own?) - that could become Very useful when more than 40 - 80kb cars come into play and something ambitious as custom race tracks. My track is tiny in filesize, but you know it would be boring if we couldn't be free to design without worrying about server strain or client side strain as well.

This is awesome Smallo, quite an awakening. Makes me want to close the Source SDK and pop open max :P

[DRuG]Mortal
[DRuG] member

I can't believe we will have to wait until 2014 to play GTA V on PC.

[DRuG] member

Return to Mods being developed by DRuG