Feedback Required: Car pack for MTA:DM Server

DRuG mods currently in development
Bookmark and Share

Feedback Required: Car pack for MTA:DM Server

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks to the fine work of [DRuG]Smallo, we now have a simple bit of code to replace a vehicle in the MTA server, so any instance of it will temporarily appear as the vehicle we have supplied in a download when they initially connect.

Problem is, at the moment we only have a few of my vehicles plus a few cars as a test, but the download amasses to around 15Mb.

Solution, I suggest, is to have this "Feedback Required" thread..

I need everyone to submit their suggestions of vehicles, and those which they should replace, to be installed on our DM server, which is going to be focussed on racing.

Requirements of submissions will be a maximum overall file size of 1 Mb - no higher. There are stacks of cars over 1Mb, not many under.. perhaps experiment with reducing textures before uploading your submission.

Credit must be given to the original authors, but I am happy using others' models, as much as I'm sure they will be - if you want to be really thorough, I'd suggest an email to the author if you plan to adjust their textures etc.. this would effectively be redistributing a modded version of their vehicle.

Originally I was going to build the pack myself, but decided this was selfish, since we'll all be playing on the server.

Please suggest as many vehicles as you can, to substitute as many as they suit (list a few they would suit in case we get overlap, if you can).

Download links to the vehicles will make my life a lot easier, so please, even just attach the file if you don't have it hosted anywhere, use multipart zip if you have to.

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Feedback Required: Car pack for MTA:DM Server

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:53 pm

I think the biggest problem is that MTA:DM sends its files over to the client uncompressed, even files inside zip archives :roll:

That really cuts into the bandwidth. So make sure to enable DXT1 compression within your txd files when possible.

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 pm

By the way, the option for an external server was attempted.. it seems the code in mta:dm, at this stage, is still bugged for external servers.

If anyone feels confident they can get it working, I have the resources, just let me know... I do not mean people prepared to give it a bang - I mean people that have experience with it working, because in mine, in never has worked - linux & windows, local and remote web server.

At this stage, as a result, I have reverted to using the internal server until the external function seems to work in a future release.

In consequence, we need to reduce the size of the resources, so any steps you can take to achieve this, including what's mentioned above, please do so.

[DRuG]NikT

[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Postby [DRuG]KillFrenzy on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:49 pm

http://development.mtasa.com/index.php? ... web_server

Make sure all files in your external web server must be uncompressed. Also, I think you might have to change the http port to 80, if it doesn't work.

Although I've got experience with much of the server and scripting itself :P

[DRuG]KillFrenzy
[DRuG] member
[DRuG] member
[alr] member

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Tried all that with no success.

[DRuG]NikT