Rigging a car for import

Problems & solutions for vehicle & player modelers
Bookmark and Share

Rigging a car for import

Postby -]alw[-Deftones on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:37 pm

Hey guys, glad to see the modding bug is going around. I could use a little advice if you can offer any...

I know how to use 3ds max pretty well as i learned it about half a decade ago when i used to be in college for graphic design. I can model cars and pretty much anything but i am completely clueless as to how to export it properly.

As far as i know i need to create the car with separate editable meshes for the doors and im assuming the windshields, hood and truck. But i'm also a little confused about damage models. As far as i know, most of the car would be 1 main editable mesh and there would be damage models for the bumpers, doors etc, but how would you show that damage over the original main mesh? Like... getting a car to scrunch in after frontal collision. I know the collision is triggered to show the damage model of the bumper but wouldn't that overlap the main car body mesh?

Also, as far as nitro exhaust, and nitro tank showing, how can i get those to function properly if i want more than one? Say maybe... 2o exhausts.. :D

Finally i guess another issue are the wheels as far as point of attachment and rotations. Getting that seams a little tricky especially since upon opening a .dff model shows me only 1 wheel. I know you only need 1 but is that something that is interpreted later on or what?

I'd like to start off by just making a big ass rectangle with my name on it and minimal detail and seeing if i can import that as a blista, and experiment with the damage models. Also, couldnt the col be just one big rectangle too?

any advice or tutorial links would be sexy of you. especially you nikt, you sexy beast. :D

-]alw[-Deftones
-]alw[- member
-]alw[- member

Re: Rigging a car for import

Postby [DRuG]NikT on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:40 pm

The plugin suite by Kam - DFF/IO, requires a collision file (.col) on export - you can use the ones from Vice City's vehicles.dat using Steve-M's coleditor (since San doesn't work with .col files, you need ones from Vice, it's how they reverse engineered model substitiution that dictated this needing to be done)... I have linked all these tools in drugcrew.com's links area: http://nikt.zog.net.au/drugcrew/index.php?pg=links under the heading "Modding Tools". Make sure you follow his install instructions like a handrail - if you get the installation perfect, they integrate really well into the sidebar in 3DSMAX.

The best method to follow is importing an existing vehicle, then exporting without any changes, making sure to select all parts, also to point to an appropriate .col file in the exporter. TXD Workshop is also handy to do the textures. Use of the eye dropper tool in the material editor is also a wise step when UV mapping, so you can apply GTA materials to the model you import/subst. Pay particular attention when importing, to the model hierarchy - its the button in the toolbar like a flow chart... you need to parent the imported meshes to the part you're replacing's place in the hierarchy.. feel free to ask me if you get stuck, but do give it a try first - you'll get a lot more satisfaction if u nut it out yaself.
As far as i know i need to create the car with separate editable meshes for the doors and im assuming the windshields, hood and truck. But i'm also a little confused about damage models.

I'd just concentrate on a single mesh group, you can regroup & split it all up later. Same goes for damage models and such - I wouldn't worry about all that until you have the basics working.. small steps.
nitro tank showing, how can i get those to function properly if i want more than one? Say maybe... 2o exhausts.. :D

You would have to experiment with duplicating the dummies, or just adding new ones and using the right reserved names.. orrr you could include more parts in that single node of the model. Small steps and testing would be the trick. I will reiterate.. save all this for later.. keep it simple at first.
Finally i guess another issue are the wheels as far as point of attachment and rotations. Getting that seams a little tricky especially since upon opening a .dff model shows me only 1 wheel.

This will make a lot more sense when you understand the dummies, where they are all placed, and what they all do... this takes time and practice.. best advice is leave them all where they are, pick a similar sized car, then tweak once you have it working on export, testing every small change and saving to a separate folder when you have things working.

Good luck! :geek:

"But my head's all messed up, so you better driive brother"

[DRuG]NikT
[DRuG] cofounder & your host

Check out the downloads and members areas on drugcrew.com

[DRuG] cofounder & your host
[DRuG] coleader
[DRuG] member
DRuG server admin
[AGS] member
]DR[ member

Re: Rigging a car for import